Narrowband

She's putting on weight, but I love her!

Yawning Angel

I was treated to a slim window on the 24th, before snow clouds rolled in. Job 1 was to grab some moon data, so I had something from the night, then on to play with some camera / barlow combinations

This is the result of 25% stacks of 1000 frames, captured from my 80ED / asi178mm. LRGB frames gently sharpened in Registax and aligned in imPPG. Combined, colour balanced and final sharpening in PixInsight. I have been fining the a less aggressive sharpen in Registax means the Pix's RestorationFilter can be used to crisp up after settling the colours & highlights

I was going to present it in it's 'correct' orientation, but to my eye this suited it better

Click for full size, it does it more justice

1528679897_Moon2021-01-24.thumb.png.bea0ea58bcb240f5d9636ee87525130e.png

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Very nice indeed

Thank you James.

It's a little more faf with filters, but I can go to about 80% and stay inside one frame so it's not excessive. I like trying for the hints of colour, although this stack wasn't for giving me any blue without some work.

Do you go for pure luminance when doing mono, or filtered?

Just now, Yawning Angel said:

Do you go for pure luminance when doing mono, or filtered?

Most recently I've been using a mono camera with an Ha filter.  Though when I say "recent", that has to be taken in the light of the utterly rubbish weather we've had for the last six months :)

James

Just now, JamesF said:

mono camera with an Ha filter

I've used the Ha previously then swapped to a ProPlanet 642 IR bandpass - great when seeing is mixed. You may find more detail in the green channel - if you can get the exposure short enough to keep it stable

12 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

if you can get the exposure short enough to keep it stable

Yes, that has always been a bit of a delicate balance when trying to image something as bright as the Moon with a dedicated mono camera.  I might perhaps have a play with different apertures to see what works well.  Obviously the 80ED performs very nicely, but with a narrowband filter I might be able to give my ST120 a go and squeeze out a bit more resolution.  Especially if I try something like the 3.5nm Ha filter I bought recently.

Such a shame there are so few opportunities to experiment at the moment :(

James

• Like 1