Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Bicolour - WIP

TakMan

Can't remember the last time I processed something up in colour...

Was hoping to get some SII, then produce something along the lines of Brendan's superb rendition:

https://www.kinchastro.com/rosette-nebula.html

But, with the weather being abysmal, used a revised 'Cannistra' method for combining what I had - Ha and OIII

http://www.starrywonders.com/bicolortechniquenew.html

Ha 8x 1200 and 13x 600 (some from way back in 2013 before I took a break from imaging)

OIII 19x 1200

From my suburban, light polluted Bortle 5-6 back garden.

FSQ106ED with FR (385mm @ f/3.6) and the STF8300m and Baader 7nm and 8.5nm filters

All sorted on a MacBook Pro.

Wasn't sure the best way to combine different lengths of subs(for the Ha), but threw the lot into APP and it got on with it!

Preprocessed (darks, flats and dark flats) aligned and stacked in APP.

As this was just a bit of fun/experimentation, sorted in-between walks in today's snowfall, decided to give SiriL a (first) try for stretching the data, before doing all the 'arty stuff' in Photoshop CC2017.

Quite a few areas that cause me concern, bloated stars, noise, that overly bright area under the belly of the 'leaping Puma', etc, but it has been good fun today all the same!

Hope you like.... it's... 'colourful', if nothing else!  Here as a full size jpeg (click it), showing warts and all. Stay safe...

Damian

1102135669_Rosette_HaandOIII_viaSiriLcopy-Recoveredcopy.thumb.jpg.6a97867e5e5e2594d9c8e5b798602ef9.jpg

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 13

I think you have done a fantastic job with the data you had - well done on that. Looking back on mine from a year ago now....it looks very drab now having seen yours . (I may have to go back to that one 🤔)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I see you've done a reprocess Brendan since I last posted, looks great.

I tried your orientation (portrait) with my second process below, but it didn't work as well as yours - I think my more rectangular chip didn't give the right look and I didn't want to crop it down...

Anyway, using the same data set as previous, a complete re-process, this time taking greater care with the stars and brighter regions.

The palette is perhaps more in-keeping with a traditional RGB image, also the overall brightness is not so aggressively pushed as attempt #1…  a bit more muted and more overall... ‘dustiness’ !

Rather than aim for the usual two colours of (magenta) red and blue, I tried to get some others into it as I went, so some teal with the blue OIII and orange hues in the extremities of the red Ha, just for a bit more interest.

This time I used the Ha as a selective luminance layer, so you could say this image is: Ha/Ha/sG/OIII - click for the full size jpeg.

D

1935143901_Rosette_SECONDGO.thumb.jpg.60190c6af5ef5260693c64e2d95e860f.jpg

...and as more of a Hubble Palette SHO look....

1533486712_Rosette_Hubblelook.thumb.jpg.c4cf5aefee3ca2f98a7fe20e5dff2352.jpg

...plus a rotated and cropped version centreing around the famous 'Leaping Puma' Bok Globule...

1762108224_InsidetheRosetteandtheLeapingPuma.thumb.jpg.fec9a484a4a39fc19bb0fca76764e9af.jpg

Edited by TakMan
Added SHO version
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TakMan said:

I see you've done a reprocess Brendan since I last posted, looks great

The Leprechauns made me do it! As I said above, looking at yours I just had to go back and try give mine a lift.

You did such great work on that top one - I think it is fantastic and indeed I still prefer that one of the two. The detail shows through perhaps a little better on that second one....but I just find the top a 'nicer' image to view. probably just down to personal choice I guess.

• Like 1