Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everyone. Noobstronomer here.

BaldyMan

Hi everybody how are you all. I'm so excited to get started in the world of astronomy after humming and hahing about of for months.

I have purchased for my kids (myself really) a Celestron Starsense Explorer LT80AZ from FLO. I had been actually waiting for the Sky Watcher Heritage 100p to come back in stock but there is nothing available anywhere so I couldn't resist and made the plunge.

I'm hoping that the scope will do a grand job for me and I'm sure I'll be getting hooked and buying all manner of upgrades to annoy the wife in future.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone. My scope arrived today. Its the Celestron refractor with the mobile phone doohicky that points to the stars. It was the only thing I could lay my hands on due to massive stock shortages everywhere. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it put yet due to bad weather

14 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

Thanks everyone. My scope arrived today. Its the Celestron refractor with the mobile phone doohicky that points to the stars. It was the only thing I could lay my hands on due to massive stock shortages everywhere. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it put yet due to bad weather

Confucius would no doubt have said something sage along the lines of   "Amateur astronomer with actual telescope at hand is  closer to the stars than amateur astronomer with ambitious plans for expensive purchase at some time in the future."

The weather will clear, and you will be ready !

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
it said 'am' when I typed 'ambitious' ? Weird !
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Confucius would no doubt have said something sage along the lines of   "Amateur astronomer with actual telescope at hand is  closer to the stars than amateur astronomer with am plans for expensive purchase at some time in the future."

The weather will clear, and you will be ready !

Heather

I already have Saturday and Sunday night pencilled in as my weather apps are saying it should be clear skies. Plus its a full moon this week. I might try to get out Thursday to observe it if a break in the clouds appears

13 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

I already have Saturday and Sunday night pencilled in as my weather apps are saying it should be clear skies. Plus its a full moon this week. I might try to get out Thursday to observe it if a break in the clouds appears

You may already have a good idea of what you hope to see, but even if so, this is a nice set of targets to consider in a couple of printable PDFs

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/skyatnight/moore-winter-marathon-guide-1-25.pdf

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/skyatnight/moore-winter-marathon-guide-26-50.pdf

the Moore Winter Marathon is an old document, but everything apart from the planet info (Jupiter is not in that part of the sky now) holds true still.

9 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

You may already have a good idea of what you hope to see, but even if so, this is a nice set of targets to consider in a couple of printable PDFs

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/skyatnight/moore-winter-marathon-guide-1-25.pdf

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/skyatnight/moore-winter-marathon-guide-26-50.pdf

the Moore Winter Marathon is an old document, but everything apart from the planet info (Jupiter is not in that part of the sky now) holds true still.

Thanks, thats a big help. I need to start collecting resources on what to go looking for at what time of year

• Thanks 1