Narrowband

All Things Spectroscopy, Photometry and Spectrophotometry

narrowbandpaul

Hi Guys/gals.

Have any of you taken spectra of astronomical objects? Measured blackbody temperatures, measured magnitudes of stars?

At Glasgow Uni Observatory during the summer, ally (ngc2403) and myself took a complete spectrum of the sun at high res (0.1A) over the range 350nm to 780nm. It was a mammoth task stitching all the frames together.

What stuff do you guys use, how do you process, calibrate your results, and what catalogues do you use for comparing results.

All subjects in this area is fair game.

I'll start the ball rolling.

This image is taken at about 0.2A/pix centred on the Calcium H and K lines in the sun. They are around 390nm and occur near sunspots

12117_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thankyou

Paul

Thanks for the thread Paul!!

I have to ask...

How did you manage to image down to 350nm?

Most of the CCD's and DSLR's available to amateurs have response curves which just drop towards zero below 400m....

I know the DMK chip SHOULD be able but....

you are right, we have next to zero response at 365nm, our last decent solar feature is about 366nm.

I just used an approximation...we get calcium H K fine, and bluer than that aswell

yes QE goes pretty sharply downhill, as the absorption length get shorter and shorter.

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul,

How did your spectroscopy go? this thread seems to have died....

I started spectroscopy this summer and took lots of spectra of star - mainly medium resolution r ~ 5000 and some high resolution r ~ 15000 with my spectroscope in second order. I have put a couple of pics of my spectra in my album you can find from my profile.

In my blog you can see some projects I am looking to carry out in the new year :0)

I am also a member of Ken's group

astronomical_spectroscopy : Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs

where you can find some data reduction routines for using iris

cheers

john

Archived