Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece...should i or shouldn`t i..???

On 24/01/2021 at 11:08, Philip R said:

You could always get a TeleVue Apollo...  if you have a spare £1k+ 🤔

I think they're sold out of the 300 piece limited edition production run pretty much everywhere.  So, unless you can score a used one, I don't think so.

On 30/04/2021 at 12:11, starboy71 said:

hi,no i never got the chance,the views are quite nice of the moon zoomed in...but zoomed into say M42 it has a dark ring around the centre...same with the beehive cluster too...it`ll do for now though,i have some other ep`s that i fall back on.

Vignetting?  When you say dark ring around the center, how far out percentage wise does it extend?  I guess what I'm asking is it more of donut of darkness with brighter images inside and around it or does the darkening extend all the way to the field stop.

On 24/01/2021 at 11:51, Second Time Around said:

Celestron 8-24mm.  The version I bought was the spotting scope one, called the Regal, so it might be different to the astro model. The first thing I noticed was that it was even less parfocal than my Baader.  In fact, none of these 4 zooms are parfocal to my aged eyes, but might be to someone younger.  The field of view was also smaller.  What disqualified it completely for me though was that it wasn't threaded for filters or screw in Barlows.  I therefore returned it without further testing.

Yes, sorry it didn't work out for you.  However, I don't get on well with the BHZ because even with the eye cup removed I can't take in the entire field of view with eyeglasses which is not the case for the Celestron Regal with its eye cup removed.  I guess the non-parfocalness never bother me since it is no where near as bad as the Speers-Waler 5-8mm varifocal zoom.  Since I rarely use filters, the lack of threads is a complete non-issue for me.  When I do want to use them, I just use a fixed focal length eyepiece for monoviewing or screw them into the nose piece of the binoviewer to avoid buying two.

On 24/01/2021 at 11:51, Second Time Around said:

Both the Celestron and Baader have a 43mm screw thread under the eyecup to which a Dioptrx can be fitted.

I'm pretty sure the upper thread is 37mm.  There are generic 43mm to 37mm step down rings that could be added to adapt it to Dioptrx.

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG1276564184_ZoomEyepieceSideview.thumb.JPG.b8cc348b102cadc0925991b1545cc5b2.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2021 at 20:22, Louis D said:

Vignetting?  When you say dark ring around the center, how far out percentage wise does it extend?  I guess what I'm asking is it more of donut of darkness with brighter images inside and around it or does the darkening extend all the way to the field stop.

Hi Louis,sorry i`m late replying...its as you described above ...kinda like it goes dimmer as for the percentage its proberbly 40%...deffo does not got to the field stop...i can live with it for now...but i prob will get a Baader further down the line.