SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece...should i or shouldn`t i..???

I only use a Baader Zoom, this is my second now, the MK IV which the lightest of it incarcerations. It is supposed to function better at cold temperatures too. I was out in the frost for hours last night without any trouble and gear was covered in ice when I brought it in too. I am about to buy a Baader Zoom to go with it in the near future. I hate changing eye pieces.

Edited by Carl Au
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starboy71 said:

Many thanks for the replies,you are a good bunch....yes i`m going for it! yay...but now remains the question of which eyepiece for a massive FOV??...but i guess i`ll only use that in the summer when we have the decent bit of the milky way up above..i have a 25mm BST for that but i want more sky!...oh the decisions!

You could always get a TeleVue Apollo...  if you have a spare £1k+ 🤔

Edited by Philip R

1 hour ago, John said:

The Baader zoom comes with 2 barrels - a 1.25 inch one and a 2 inch one. It is a 1.25" eyepiece and the barrel you use does not change that but some people prefer to put it into the 2 inch adapter because it is quite a large eyepiece.

Full 2 inch eyepieces are pretty weighty bulky things but they can show about 60% more sky than a 1.25 in the same focal length:

nagler31.JPG

my god thats a hand grenade!

46 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

Not disappointed with my Nikon D7100 on it. 

Regards.

That's on my list of maybes,  along with a few others. I'll use the old 300d for a while,  to learn the best settings and mess around with Deep Sky Stacker and GIMP.  I'll definitely be upgrading,  as I do enjoy getting images of what I see. 

6 hours ago, Pixies said:

I love mine (and the matching barlow) - but I didn't pay full-whack for it.

The Hyperflex zoom gets great reviews and is considerably cheaper.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html

Search SGL for lots of comments.

It'll be great with your dob - but consider a wide-angle eyepiece to go with it, as at the low powered end it has a reduced field-of-view.

HHHmmm now this i did not know about...i shall research this....it may just sway me...certainly cheaper as you said.

1 minute ago, starboy71 said:

HHHmmm now this i did not know about...i shall research this....it may just sway me...certainly cheaper as you said.

There are 2 models. I'm not sure which one would be best.

On 24/01/2021 at 17:39, starboy71 said:

so i see...the 9-27mm has no reviews...i wonder why??

I've tried these 4 zooms:

Celestron 8-24mm.  The version I bought was the spotting scope one, called the Regal, so it might be different to the astro model. The first thing I noticed was that it was even less parfocal than my Baader.  In fact, none of these 4 zooms are parfocal to my aged eyes, but might be to someone younger.  The field of view was also smaller.  What disqualified it completely for me though was that it wasn't threaded for filters or screw in Barlows.  I therefore returned it without further testing.

Hyperflex 9-27mm.  I compared it with my Baader during the day on my shed.  Even though the focal lengths are higher, the actual field of view at 27mm is about the same as the Baader 8-24mm at 24mm.  Nor was it as sharp as the Baader in my f/6 refractor.  I was planning to try it with my Quark, but there were no sunny days or clear nights before I passed it on to two of my grandkids to use with the 70mm f/10 I bought them for Xmas.  Not surprisingly, it was better at f/10.

Svbony 7-21mm.  I tested it on a very low down Saturn, and surprisingly found that on my f/6 refractor it was as good as the Baader on axis.  Sharpness fell off somewhat off axis and the field of view was quite a bit smaller.  So far, so good then.  However, trying it on prominences with my Quark it was way behind the Baader, seemingly because of lower contrast.  I bought this firstly for outreach rather than risking my Baader zoom.  Secondly, it's very small and light, even compared to other Svbony models, so I thought it might therefore be useful in binoviewers.  I need to test it further at night, but will almost certainly keep it for the reasons given.

Baader 8-24mm.  This is much more expensive than those above, and not surprisingly outclassed all of them, both in sharpness/contrast and field of view.  It's by far my most used eyepiece, although I also own a selection of quality fixed focal length eyepieces.  The only downside, that's really important only for binoviewing with a Dioptrx, is that unlike most zooms the eyelens rotates when zooming.  

Use with a Dioptrx.  I've separated this as it applies only to those who want to correct their astigmatism in this way rather than using glasses.  The Hyperflex doesn't accept a Dioptrx.  Both the Celestron and Baader have a 43mm screw thread under the eyecup to which a Dioptrx can be fitted.  It helps though to use an O-ring or elastic band in the groove under the rim.  The eyecup of the Svbony is glued on but does come free with a bit of force.  A Dioptrx can then be fitted but an O-ring or elastic band is definitely required.  This time it goes on the very top of the rim.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I've tried these 4 zooms:

Celestron 8-24mm.  The version I bought was the spotting scope one, so it might be different to the astro model. The first thing I noticed was that it was even less parfocal than my Baader.  In fact, none of these 4 zooms are parfocal to my aged eyes, but might be to someone younger.  The field of view was also smaller.  What disqualified it completely for me though was that it wasn't threaded for filters or screw in Barlows.  I therefore returned it without further testing.

Hyperflex 9-27mm.  I compared it with my Baader during the day on my shed.  Even though the focal lengths are lower, the actual field of view at 27mm is about the same as the Baader 8-24mm at 24mm.  Nor was it as sharp as the Baader in my f/6 refractor.  I was planning to try it with my Quark, but there were no sunny days or clear nights before I passed it on to two of my grandkids to use with the 70mm f/10 I bought them for Xmas.  Not surprisingly, it was better at f/10.

Svbony 7-21mm.  I tested it on a very low down Saturn, and surprisingly found that on my f/6 refractor it was as good as the Baader on axis.  Sharpness fell off somewhat off axis and the field of view was quite a bit smaller.  So far, so good then.  However, trying it on prominences with my Quark it was way behind the Baader, seemingly because of lower contrast.  I bought this firstly for outreach rather than risking my Baader zoom.  Secondly, it's very small and light, even compared to other Svbony models, so I thought it might therefore be useful in binoviewers.  I need to test it further at night, but will almost certainly keep it for the reasons given.

Baader 8-24mm.  This is much more expensive than those above, and not surprisingly outclassed all of them, both in sharpness/contrast and field of view.  It's by far my most used eyepiece, although I also own a selection of quality fixed focal length eyepieces.  The only downside, that's really important only for binoviewing with a Dioptrx, is that unlike most zooms the eyelens rotates when zooming.  

Use with a Dioptrx.  I've separated this as it applies only to those who want to correct their astigmatism in this way rather than using glasses.  The Hyperflex doesn't accept a Dioptrx.  Both the Celestron and Baader have a 43mm screw thread under the eyecup to which a Dioptrx can be fitted.  It helps though to use an O-ring or elastic band in the groove under the rim.  The eyecup of the Svbony is glued on but does come free with a bit of force.  A Dioptrx can then be fitted but an O-ring or elastic band is definitely required.  This time it goes on the very top of the rim.

thanks for taking the time to type all that out,was an interesting summary. in your opinion how would the Hyperflex zoom fair in my 200p dob?..i`m also now looking at reviews on the Olivon 8-24mm zoom ep...this is becoming a mine field ha ha!

12 hours ago, starboy71 said:

thanks for taking the time to type all that out,was an interesting summary. in your opinion how would the Hyperflex zoom fair in my 200p dob?..i`m also now looking at reviews on the Olivon 8-24mm zoom ep...this is becoming a mine field ha ha!

I did all of the 'looking at other options',  but I knew all along I would still get the baader- I think I was just looking for  ways to  confirm the wisdom of my decision.  Lots of people confirmed it was better than the other zooms mentioned in this thread, but not as much as the price difference would suggest. I intend to use mine a lot,  so to me the extra cost is worth it. 

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 200P and after reading so many positive (user and "trusted professional") reviews, I chose the Baader Hyperion IV Zoom and Barlow combination.

The optic quality, price and convenience persuaded me to chose it and I am delighted with its performance. The convenience factor is a big win for me. Being able to quickly change from 50X to 150X means that I can zoom in to find the ideal magnification without the hassle of swapping EPs and the risk of losing the object. Having to carry just 3* accessories (all 2") to my scope is great.  

* 1. Zoom 2. Barlow 3. 42mm GSO/Revlation 2" WA purchased used for £43

• Like 2

On 24/01/2021 at 09:54, starboy71 said:

Hi everyone i hope you are all well !

Now then,i have been umming and arrrhing about this particular eyepiece for a little while now,yes i have read reviews and yes i have watched youtube videos...and its driven my anticipation of getting said eyepiece up to 90% certain of going for it,however, i`d just like to know can my skywatcher 200p Dob handle it?,in terms of the weight and magnification of a 2x barlow?. i have a small but nice selection of eyepieces that i`m ok with but get frustrated at having to change them over so i`d thought i`d look more into the Baader zoom,and what better place than SGL to ask advice! Thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated,thank you all.

Mark

There's one on ebay at the moment,   currently 99 squid.  I suspect the bidding will go up- still 6 days left. You never know,  you might grab a bargain (and I'll be well jeal🤣

20210125_175947.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 24/01/2021 at 17:57, starboy71 said:

I'm afraid I didn't test the Hyperflex 9-27mm at night, but based on my very limited terrestrial use I'd say good for the price at f/6, but not outstanding.

From a quick Google I'm guessing that the Olivon 8-24mm is the same as the Celestron Regal I mentioned earlier as it seems to be made for spotting scopes, has a 43mm thread on the eyecup for attaching a camera.  Most importantly, it doesn't accept filters or screw on Barlow lenses, so I'd give this one a miss.

I'd add be careful of reviews on sites like Amazon etc.  Most such reviews are done by beginners, who think just about all eyepieces are good as they have nothing to compare them with!  So you're doing the right thing by asking here as there's a huge amount of experience amongst the members.

Can anyone elsehere  help the OP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

....I'd add be careful of reviews on sites like Amazon etc.  Most such reviews are done by beginners, who think just about all eyepieces are good as they have nothing to compare them with!  So you're doing the right thing by asking here as there's a huge amount of experience amongst the members.

Totally agree :smiley:

I owned the much admired Leica ASPH zoom for a while. That one has an apparent field that ranges between 60 and 80 degrees. The focal range is not as much as the Baader and some others at 17.8mm - 8.9mm but it works extremely well with the Baader VIP barlow and various extensions to give a wider range.

The Leica ASPH and my current Tele Vue Nagler 2mm-4mm zooms are the only ones that I have used that have truly matched the optical quality of really good fixed focal length equivalents. But then they should do - the Nagler zoom costs £390.00 and the Leica ASPH £750.00 !

The other zoom that I currently use is a clone of the Hyperflex 7.2mm - 21.5mm which I usually use with a Baader 2.25x barlow to create a 9.55mm - 3.2mm high power zoom which competes surprisingly well with quality fixed FL alternatives such as the Pentax XW's. When the chips are down and I want the best views though, I do opt for a fixed FL eyepiece.

One of the experienced members here uses a Celestron Regal zoom and gives it the thumbs up for astro use but I can't recall what scope they use it in ?

Zooms have come a long way from the awful things that were around a few decades back though.

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

Totally agree :smiley:

I owned the much admired Leica ASPH zoom for a while. That one has an apparent field that ranges between 60 and 80m degrees. The focal range is not as much as the Baader and some others at 17.8mm - 8.9mm but it works extremely well with the Baader VIP barlow and various extensions to give a wider range.

The Leica ASPH and my current Tele Vue Nagler 2mm-4mm zooms are the only ones that I have used that have truly matched the optical quality of really good fixed focal length equivalents. But then they should do - the Nagler zoom costs £390.00 and the Leica ASPH £750.00 !

The other zoom that I currently use is a clone of the Hyperflex 7.2mm - 21.5mm which I usually use with a Baader 2.25x barlow to create a 9.55mm - 3.2mm high power zoom which competes surprisingly well with quality fixed FL alternatives such as the Pentax XW's. When the chips are down and I want the best views though, I do opt for a fixed FL eyepiece.

One of the experienced members here uses a Celestron Regal zoom and gives it the thumbs up for astro use but I can't recall what scope they use it in ?

Zooms have come a long way from the awful things that were around a few decades back though.

If the Leica took a Dioptrx to correct my astigmatism I'd probably have bought it, despite it being only a 2x zoom, both because of the quality and the wide field of view.

Zooms usually have narrow apparent fields of view (AFOV), especially at the low power end.  Even the Baader 8-24mm, that has a wider field of view than most, has been criticised for this.  However, IMHO that's unfair as if it were an 8-16mm zoom (i.e. a 2x one) the AFOV is quite a bit wider at 16mm than at 24mm.  So lower power than 16mm is just a bonus.  Having said that, I use mine mostly between 8 and 16mm plus at 24mm.  I find the 24mm very useful though as it's great for acquiring a target as it shows the most sky.

I totally agree that zooms are far better than they were in the past.  Unfortunately, their poor reputation lives on, certainly amongst the purists.  Both zooms and fixed focal length eyepieces have their uses.  However, I use zooms far more, even though I've got some very high quality fixed focal length eyepieces

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well,after much deliberation with my bank balance i opted to go for the OVL Hyperflex zoom...great service by FLO as always,the EP looks very nice.There is no click stop when rotating the zoom but i`ll see how i get on with that.Also the rotation is smooth but slightly stiff but in time maybe this will free up a smidge but i can live with it,its no drama. when we get a clear night i`ll be straight out there but alas with me getting said EP i fear i may have cursed our beloved hobby with more clouds and rain GGGRRRRR!

• 3 months later...
On 28/01/2021 at 06:07, starboy71 said:

well,after much deliberation with my bank balance i opted to go for the OVL Hyperflex zoom...great service by FLO as always,the EP looks very nice.There is no click stop when rotating the zoom but i`ll see how i get on with that.Also the rotation is smooth but slightly stiff but in time maybe this will free up a smidge but i can live with it,its no drama. when we get a clear night i`ll be straight out there but alas with me getting said EP i fear i may have cursed our beloved hobby with more clouds and rain GGGRRRRR!

How has the eyepiece held up for you? Did you ever get a chance to compare it to a Baader zoom?

On 28/04/2021 at 11:49, Pitch Black Skies said:

How has the eyepiece held up for you? Did you ever get a chance to compare it to a Baader zoom?

hi,no i never got the chance,the views are quite nice of the moon zoomed in...but zoomed into say M42 it has a dark ring around the centre...same with the beehive cluster too...it`ll do for now though,i have some other ep`s that i fall back on.

• Thanks 1

On 28/04/2021 at 12:00, johninderby said:

You might try looking for reviews of the Orion 8-24mm Pro Lanthanum Zoom Eyepiece which I think is identical to the StellaLyra. The ALTAIR LIGHTWAVE PREMIUM 8-24MM ZOOM LER EYEPIECE is also the same. 

hi john and thanks but alas too late as i went ahead n purchased the mentioned zoom...however thanks for advice of the orion and altair lightwave...i will research these for a future purchase...a long way off down the road at this moment.

I wouldn’t be without my Baader Mk iv, great for double stars &  finding the nights optimal magnification vs. seeing and have usefully deployed the dedicated Barlow with it up to very high magnification on the moon. 

I use one successfully on an ST80 and a Mak 127 if that helps with weight/balance thinking. would have thought you’ll be absolutely fine from that perspective. 

I find it such a useful tool and saves so much time switching EPs in and out in the field. As stated above there’s a bit of narrowing at the 24mm end so many nights the only other thing I use is the Baader Hyperion 24mm 68 degree fixed for a wider field - mainly in the Mak. 
Occasionally find the 8mm end suffers from mushiness if the seeing is less than great.

On quick grab-and-go issikns with the ST80 it’s often all I take. 

Lovely quality click stops, twist up eye-cup and build quality. 
As said above there is a slight trade off in terms of contrast for fuzzy-hunting but so usable on many other use cases. 

Clear skies! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1