Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece...should i or shouldn`t i..???

Hi everyone i hope you are all well !

Now then,i have been umming and arrrhing about this particular eyepiece for a little while now,yes i have read reviews and yes i have watched youtube videos...and its driven my anticipation of getting said eyepiece up to 90% certain of going for it,however, i`d just like to know can my skywatcher 200p Dob handle it?,in terms of the weight and magnification of a 2x barlow?. i have a small but nice selection of eyepieces that i`m ok with but get frustrated at having to change them over so i`d thought i`d look more into the Baader zoom,and what better place than SGL to ask advice! Thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated,thank you all.

Mark

I am not a very much visual observer, but I like to look at the Sun, moon and planets with my binoviewer.
For that I really love to use the Baaders with my Zeiss bv. No hassle with changing ep's or being afraid of dropping them... 🤬

So... if you ask me: go for it!

• Like 1

I got one from Santa - absolutely love it. I was out observing the moon last night with it in my mak 127 and had a fantastic time. 

It took me ages to decide if it was right for me, or whether I should go for one of the cheaper svbony ones (which have decent reviews). As I was going to be using it in a mak, fov was important to me. The Baader had more fov at the 24mm than the cheaper ones. 

I've actually not used any other eyepieces in the mak since I got the zoom. Really glad I decided to give it a try. 

• Like 1

I have one and must admit I love it. With the DOB you will have realised how fast things move so the ability to switch from low to high power very easily sold it to me. If you have a DSLR, you can also fit the DSLR directly onto the eyepiece using a few adapters.

• Like 1

I love mine (and the matching barlow) - but I didn't pay full-whack for it.

The Hyperflex zoom gets great reviews and is considerably cheaper.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html

Search SGL for lots of comments.

It'll be great with your dob - but consider a wide-angle eyepiece to go with it, as at the low powered end it has a reduced field-of-view.

• Like 1

I've owned a couple of the Baader 8-24 zooms, a Mk II and a couple of Mk III's.

I thought they were pretty good eyepieces although I found the AFov restrictive at the 24mm end so really treated them as 8-20 zooms. The field stop edges get mushy as well at the longer end which I'm not keen on.

I found the light transmission when observing galaxies and nebula suffered a bit with the zooms compared with a good fixed focal length eyepiece. Not massively but noticeable when I changed eyepieces from zoom to fixed FL when observing Messier 82, for example.

I would not have a zoom as my only eyepiece but I find the couple that I currently have (not Baaders as it happens) useful tools to have in the eyepiece case.

• Like 1

I had one with the matching Barlow for Christmas and with the appalling weather and still having to get up for work, only got 1st light with it last night through my 200p 

I am very impressed - it knocks my fixed BSTs out of the park. Had some great views around Orion, finally bagged Uranus and finished with the moon. Didn't try the Barlow yet...

It works well in the 200p - do it!! 

Andy

• Like 2

The dob should be perfectly fine with the weight of the Baader zoom, it's not actually that big compared to some eyepieces. You will definitely still want some long focal length eyepieces though for when you want a wide field of view. The one thing that I've found makes a massive difference in the speed in which eyepieces can be switched is the Baader clicklock system. Having upgraded both the 1.25" and 2" eyepiece clamps on my dob to clamps means I have no worries about changing from one eyepiece to another.

• Like 1

I got the baader zoom for Crimbo and use it with my 200p Skywatcher and it is fantastic!  When I first tried it, I didn't cool the scope before using the baader and was a little dissapointed and thought I was going to regret buying something I'd been really looking forward to owning.   But when I gave it time to cool the views were excellent; I now love it!  Here's a couple  of pics of the moon from last night at different mags (no barlow used).  They were only done with my phone held up to the eyepiece,  so I'm sure much better pics could definitely be achieved. I've included a one I got of Orion nebula as well.  I say just get it; You already know you're going to! 

20210124_113010.jpg

20210123_211736.jpg

20210123_211516.jpg

20210123_210949.jpg

20210124_094338.jpg

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the replies,you are a good bunch....yes i`m going for it! yay...but now remains the question of which eyepiece for a massive FOV??...but i guess i`ll only use that in the summer when we have the decent bit of the milky way up above..i have a 25mm BST for that but i want more sky!...oh the decisions!

1 hour ago, Jason B said:

I got the baader zoom for Crimbo and use it with my 200p Skywatcher and it is fantastic!  When I first tried it, I didn't cool the scope before using the baader and was a little dissapointed and thought I was going to regret buying something I'd been really looking forward to owning.   But when I gave it time to cool the views were excellent; I now love it!  Here's a couple  of pics of the moon from last night at different mags (no barlow used).  They were only done with my phone held up to the eyepiece,  so I'm sure much better pics could definitely be achieved. I've included a one I got of Orion nebula as well.  I say just get it; You already know you're going to! 

20210124_113010.jpg

20210123_211736.jpg

20210123_211516.jpg

20210123_210949.jpg

20210124_094338.jpg

love the pics! i`m gettin one!

13 minutes ago, starboy71 said:

Many thanks for the replies,you are a good bunch....yes i`m going for it! yay...but now remains the question of which eyepiece for a massive FOV??...but i guess i`ll only use that in the summer when we have the decent bit of the milky way up above..i have a 25mm BST for that but i want more sky!...oh the decisions!

Are you prepared to go to the 2 inch format ?

If you stick with 1.25 inch you can get a little more true field than the 25mm BST gives, but not a lot more.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Are you prepared to go to the 2 inch format ?

If you stick with 1.25 inch you can get a little more true field than the 25mm BST gives, but not a lot more.

hi john...err ummm...i guess i need more research on this lol...the video reviews i`ve seen show unboxing and it has what looks like a 2inch adapter on it??? so you can buy this Baader in 1.25 or 2 inch???

Mark

The Baader zoom comes with 2 barrels - a 1.25 inch one and a 2 inch one. It is a 1.25" eyepiece and the barrel you use does not change that but some people prefer to put it into the 2 inch adapter because it is quite a large eyepiece.

Full 2 inch eyepieces are pretty weighty bulky things but they can show about 60% more sky than a 1.25 in the same focal length:

nagler31.JPG

Edited by John

3 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

i don't know if you know , but you can connect a DSLR on it direct with a T adapter if you have one. Good luck.

I got the T mount the other day and am waiting for the baader adapter to come from FLO (shouldn't be much longer).  The DSLR I got a couple of weeks back is an old canon model (300D), but initially I'm not impressed; my smartphone appears to do better,  although it is viewing through the baader, where the canon is attached directly to the scope until the attachment arrives.  I'm hoping I get better results when I can attach it to my zoom,  or I'll be flogging the 300D on and digging deeper into my pockets to buy something more suitable.