Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Domes and Rilles from the Lunar 100

RobertI

I’ve just come in from a fantastic couple of hours observing Luna. I decided to have a go at some targets from the Lunar 100, and so glad I did - finding those little gems was really exciting and added a new dimension to lunar observing . Using my binoviewers with the 102EDR was a dream, so relaxing and easy on the eyes, they’ve really transformed my planetary and Luna (and possibly solar) viewing. Anyway tonight I managed the following targets, and please forgive my childlike sketches, not really intended for sharing, but thought they might bring the descriptions to life. Also note I haven’t  researched these properly yet so I’m hoping I found the correct targets!

Hortensius Domes (Lunar 65). A series of volcanic domes near the crater Hortensius. 

109EF3B0-E53B-4E78-B419-502A5DB4A315.thumb.jpeg.d98300c3fce3ea162067d045a2bf84c1.jpeg

Hippalus Rilles (Lunar 54).  Three very distinct and long rilles stretching across craters and mountain ranges. During the time I was observing the visibility of these features seemed to change quite a lot. 

BAF12ABF-3A6A-4684-9C14-6DF8B537E48C.thumb.jpeg.0f1fe0d6e8aac4137eb014973a2a9ea2.jpeg

Nearby was another feature - Kies Pi (Lunar 60). A volcanic dome on the edge of the crater Kies. 

Looking forward to the next session. Thoroughly recommend picking a few targets from the Lunar 100. 👍

• Like 11

I’ve done a bit more on-line research on my targets. Looks like I missed the Kies Pi dome completely (anyone know why some some domes are called ‘Pi’?) and my sketch of the Hortensius domes bare a passing resemblance to the images. It appears that the position of the terminator is critical to picking up domes. This whole area is part of ‘Domeland’. There’s an interesting article about them here: https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/a-little-guide-to-lunar-domes/

In fact the American Lunar Society have a ‘dome’ section (and no doubt the BAA). 

Thanks for the report! I'll make a note to check these domes next time. 

I was also using binoviewers on the Moon last night and I'm very happy with my new purchase (BST starguider). There is definitely more clarity to the view, I'm sure I'm seeing more detail compared to a single eyepiece. Wish they were a bit wider angle though they give have only about 45 degrees FOV with 32mm Plossls. 

Sinus Iridum was also great on the terminator, and all the small outcrops around Plato.

Clear skies!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Thanks for the report! I'll make a note to check these domes next time. 

I was also using binoviewers on the Moon last night and I'm very happy with my new purchase (BST starguider). There is definitely more clarity to the view, I'm sure I'm seeing more detail compared to a single eyepiece. Wish they were a bit wider angle though they give have only about 45 degrees FOV with 32mm Plossls. 

Sinus Iridum was also great on the terminator, and all the small outcrops around Plato.

Clear skies!

Yes I feel ultimately I can see more with BVs, perhaps the image quality is not quite up to cyclops viewing with a good quality eyepiece, but because it’s so much easier to look for long periods, I can relax more tease out that detail over time. I find I get more of a 3D effect which is very engaging. I was getting around 175x magnification and the targets were moving pretty quickly across the FOV, but with the 66 degree eyepieces I didn’t have to re-centre too often and was still able to sketch. I’m sure you'll appreciate some wide field eyepieces if you can get them. 👍 

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

Yes I feel ultimately I can see more with BVs, perhaps the image quality is not quite up to cyclops viewing with a good quality eyepiece, but because it’s so much easier to look for long periods, I can relax more tease out that detail over time. I find I get more of a 3D effect which is very engaging. I was getting around 175x magnification and the targets were moving pretty quickly across the FOV, but with the 66 degree eyepieces I didn’t have to re-centre too often and was still able to sketch. I’m sure you'll appreciate some wide field eyepieces if you can get them. 👍 

That's interesting! I'd consider the binoviewer and cheap orthoscopics to outstrip any mono eyepiece view I've ever seen as far as lunar observing goes.  I've just spent an hour observing the Moon just playing around with my eyepieces, and the bino view was in a whole different league I felt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

That's interesting! I'd consider the binoviewer and cheap orthoscopics to outstrip any mono eyepiece view I've ever seen as far as lunar observing goes.  I've just spent an hour observing the Moon just playing around with my eyepieces, and the bino view was in a whole different league I felt.

You're probably right Mike. I haven't actually done a back to back test but I assumed that the cyclops view must be theoretically sharper because there is less 'stuff' in the lightpath, but I guess two eyes outstrip those minor optical advantages (if they even exist at all?). I won't be going back to cyclops viewing for solar system work. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobertI said:

You're probably right Mike. I haven't actually done a back to back test but I assumed that the cyclops view must be theoretically sharper because there is less 'stuff' in the lightpath, but I guess two eyes outstrip those minor optical advantages (if they even exist at all?). I won't be going back to cyclops viewing for solar system work. 👍

It doesn't seem to make sense does it. Yet it never ceases to amaze me!

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 06:11, RobertI said:

I’ve just come in from a fantastic couple of hours observing Luna. I decided to have a go at some targets from the Lunar 100, and so glad I did - finding those little gems was really exciting and added a new dimension to lunar observing . Using my binoviewers with the 102EDR was a dream, so relaxing and easy on the eyes, they’ve really transformed my planetary and Luna (and possibly solar) viewing. Anyway tonight I managed the following targets, and please forgive my childlike sketches, not really intended for sharing, but thought they might bring the descriptions to life. Also note I haven’t  researched these properly yet so I’m hoping I found the correct targets!

Hortensius Domes (Lunar 65). A series of volcanic domes near the crater Hortensius. 

109EF3B0-E53B-4E78-B419-502A5DB4A315.thumb.jpeg.d98300c3fce3ea162067d045a2bf84c1.jpeg

Hippalus Rilles (Lunar 54).  Three very distinct and long rilles stretching across craters and mountain ranges. During the time I was observing the visibility of these features seemed to change quite a lot. 

BAF12ABF-3A6A-4684-9C14-6DF8B537E48C.thumb.jpeg.0f1fe0d6e8aac4137eb014973a2a9ea2.jpeg

Nearby was another feature - Kies Pi (Lunar 60). A volcanic dome on the edge of the crater Kies. 

Looking forward to the next session. Thoroughly recommend picking a few targets from the Lunar 100. 👍

Superb report ! What bver you used Robert ?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

Superb report ! What bver you used Robert ?

Thanks! I use the William Optics BV with the supplied 20mm 66 degree eyepieces and a Bader 2.25x Barlow which actually magnifies 5x giving around 175x total magnification. 

• Like 1