sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi, I got a skywatcher classic 200p just before xmas and I havnt done much planet viewing due to not having more than a 10mm eyepiece for magnification. I recently got a 2x barlow lens and tried viewing last night with a barlow and 10mm lens and it came out very blurry and I couldn't see any detail and it still seemed quite small. I was viewing on a close night when there was a break in the clouds so may have not been the best conditions. Any tips for how much magnification I need and how to see it better. Thanks.

Conditions may not have been ideal, and Mars looks very small compared with most objects.

Your problem is most likely to be that the stock 10mm eyepiece supplied isn't brilliant (they often aren't), and by barlowing it up, you're just magnifying an image that wasn't good to start with.

At 1000mm/10mm = 100x you should get some useful magnification for planets. If the viewing conditions weren't great then pushing it to 200x with a barlow may have been too much.

You could consider getting a better eyepiece for higher magnification work. One of these will be a noticeable improvement. Perhaps an 8mm which would give you 125x, and then on very good evenings you might get away with barlowing to 250x on the right target.

I find that 200x - 250x is needed, if the conditions (the seeing) allows that to be used.

Mars is very small now and getting smaller so seeing any details on it is pretty challenging.

A cooled and colimated scope is essential and lots of patience !

Thanks for the replies ill look in to other eyepieces and magnification, I have got a slightly better quality 15mm celestron eyepiece, do you think that with barlow would be better than the 10mm?

The 10mm plus Barlow should be good, but .....

Collimation must be good.

The scope must be fully cooled.

Sky seeing must be good.

If all the above come together you will get the best view of a very small and distant Mars - it’s months past it best now - but do try......

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Goldenmole
      Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas for projects to do, as the sky is clearing up and i wanted to make the most of it. Anything, maybe finding or tracking a certain celestial object or mapping the moon! I'll leave it up to you!😊
    • By SpaceDave
      Hello all. I’ve tried a few times in the last month to image Mars but have had very little success. Although a decent size, Mars is very blurry and wobbly. I am fairly new to the hobby, but I would say it appears to be poor seeing conditions. 
      I am using a Celestron 6SE and Canon 600D. I have tried 2x and 3x Barlow. I focus using a bahtinov mask (on stars). I used movie crop mode on various ISOs and exposures, stacking at least 3000 frames (keeping the best 1%, 2%, 5%, etc).
      Is Mars too far away now? Or am I underestimating how rarely you get a night of good seeing? How do you find out when the best seeing will be?
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.
    • By FireNIceFly
      Hello, 
      I've been into astronomy since I was young and more recently astrophotography. I've just (finally) got my new telescope, a Celestron AVX 9.25" Edge HD with various accessories including a reducer lens. I'm still trying to get the auto guider up and running as that's being a pain and need to get a dew heater for the telescope (currently lookjng for a decent one). I'm also looking into what filters to get as well as that's still fairly new to me, at least for the astrophotography side. 
      I'm also very much into microscopy and looking at microphotography, I'm currently saving up to get a new microscope. 
      I've also got a facebook group where I share astronomy and science news, where members can share astronomy and science news or their own astro or science images, discuss things, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2494142714158646/?ref=share
      Anyway, hello to all from Cambridge, UK :-) 

Adz

• By Lewis2020
      Hey everyone !
      Hope your all doing as well as you can be with this pandemic ! Im completely new to this stuff, im looking for some advice on the right telescope kit to buy. I dont want to be spending too much cause like im new and wanting to try it out, just hoping you guys have got some suggestions for telescopes for the value.
      Mainly wanting to look at stars (my stepdad passed away 3 weeks ago and my partner bought a "name a star" for him and would love to see it properly) and im interested in see the planets like the rings and stuff too
      Any help would be very appreciated ! 
      Possibly below £100 the cheaper the better at the minute but dont want it to be so cheap and tacky that i can only see the end of the garden through it lol
      Stay safe everyonr

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.