Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Occultation by full Moon at Opposition - 2022

Stu

One to look forward to here in 2022.

I was looking at Mars oppositions on Skysafari, and found that on the very night of opposition next year, 8th December 2022 in the early morning, Mars will be occulted by a perfect 100% full Moon, whilst at 17 arc seconds size and 27 degrees above the horizon (from London). I’ve checked the forecast and it is currently set for thick cloud, a howling gale with horizontal sleet! 🤣

First contact from London looks to be  at just after 5am, with last contact at just before 6am and with the Moon at 17 degrees altitude.

I will pop this into the Celestial Events Calendar so we don’t forget.

CE574ACC-4D31-4365-A645-E3BA08343DF6.png

573D43BE-3BF6-4295-B6E5-40809B08156E.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

One to look forward to here in 2022.

I was looking at Mars oppositions on Skysafari, and found that on the very night of opposition next year, 8th December 2022 in the early morning, Mars will be occulted by a perfect 100% full Moon, whilst at 17 arc seconds size and 27 degrees above the horizon (from London). I’ve checked the forecast and it is currently set for thick cloud, a howling gale with horizontal sleet! 🤣

First contact from London looks to be  at just after 5am, with last contact at just before 6am and with the Moon at 17 degrees altitude.

I will pop this into the Celestial Events Calendar so we don’t forget.

That's a great find Stu, thanks for the heads up :thumbright: