Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mini PC to HEQ5 cable?

I'm looking to mount my new mini pc to the side of my HEQ5 mount, can any one recommend a short FTDI EQDIR USB cable that will work? I currently have a 6ft lynx cable from flo but need a short cable to keep my rig up neat shortest they do of that type is 1m. I'm looking for preferably less than 2 ft.

I looked for a shorter one when I wanted one last year. Smallest I could find anywhere was 6ft. I've just ziptied the excess and forgot about it. I don't think you'll get one smaller, unless you make one yourself.

Just what I was going to post.

Cut it to the length you need and put a new RJ45 connection on the end.

As long as you match the wire colours on the old connector to the correct pins on the new one then it should be fine. It's the USB end which has PCB in it.

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

You could always chop your existing one down (carefully) .

That occurred to me too.  I think you'd just need an RJ45 plug and a suitable crimping tool.  If there are people who do networking stuff at your place of work they might be able to help out.

Being a lazy so-and-so however, I'd probably just loop the cable a few times and put a cable tie around it :)

James

• Like 1

Was actually looking at videos on you tube looks easy enough to do and would only cost £10 - £15 instead of new £35 cable thats to long, as long as the shorter length won't affect it in any way I'll probably look at going down that route.

Those rj45 connectors are a bit tricky. Try to get the ones which put the leads all the way through the connector, so you can cut the ends off when done.
If you hesitate to do it yourself, I don't mind doing it for you for free, you only have to pay the postage to the Netherlands and back to you. 

10 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Those rj45 connectors are a bit tricky. Try to get the ones which put the leads all the way through the connector, so you can cut the ends off when done.

I have watchmakers eyeglass I use to check the wires are in the correct pins and that they're pushed all the way in, before I crimp the connector.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

I have watchmakers eyeglass I use to check the wires are in the correct pins and that they're pushed all the way in, before I crimp the connector.

I usually just shove the cable in and wiggle it firmly until it looks like they've got to the end :D

James

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I usually just shove the cable in and wiggle it firmly until it looks like they've got to the end :D

James

That used to be my philosophy until I had a couple of wires decide they didn't like the position I was putting them in and jumped over to a neighbouring pin with their mate on the way in.  :D

52 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

That used to be my philosophy until I had a couple of wires decide they didn't like the position I was putting them in and jumped over to a neighbouring pin with their mate on the way in.  :D

Ah :)  I'm usually pretty good about that bit, but yes, it's irritating when it happens.

James

• Like 1

If you dont have a crimper tool (assuming you have a soldering iron), you could chop, solder and sleeve with heatshrink. I would probably put  a layer of self amalgamating tape over it as well.