SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Deep Sky Objects (nebulas) with the moon around?

Kon

I am on bortle 4 skies and last night it was a complete washout with the moon glow (I tried a session from 10-12 trying to hunt for some nebulas). I have a SW 8" Dob. I am a beginner, but is it worth bothering with the smudgy DSO nebulas when the moon is out or focus on other targets? (Orion and clusters looked fine). 

Edited by Kon

A few of the brighter nebulae will be visible but with the moon in the sky they will not be at their best by any means.

Planetary nebulae seem to "survive" moonlight the best. The Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392) in Gemini is well placed at the moment. The Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is also worth hunting down as is the Blue Snowball Nebula (NGC 2662) in Andromeda.

During the late spring the Ring Nebula (M57) and Dumbbell Nebula (M27) will be on show of course and they are possible with some moonlight around.

Currently well placed, the Crab Nebula (Messier 1) is a supernova remnant but it does not like a moonlit sky really. Messier 78 is in Orion and a reflection nebula but again, moonlight is not it's friend.

If you want to go further afield there is NGC 604 which is an immense star forming HII region in another galaxy, Messier 33. The trick is to find M33 first though, and that is tricky with any moonlight in the sky.

Nebulae are not the best targets in a moonlit sky but some are worth looking out :thumbright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions @John. I will have a go at them. I saw M1  when we had the new moon and I went back to it last night for comparison and yes it was just about there but not as much definition as when the sky was dark. I suppose they will all get harder to track as the moon is getting brighter.

It is worth while, if it is clear and you are out observing, which lately conditions having made this rather sparse. Last night I was out primarily to observe the moon from my urban back yard with an 8" F6 dob and later turned attention to the Orion and Eskimo nebula. Each was a satisfying observation. I was using a mid power eyepiece 120X mag and attached a 2" UHC filter to the extension tube of the focuser, which created good contrast and teased out the subtle colouration within M42. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John said:

A few of the brighter nebulae will be visible but with the moon in the sky they will not be at their best by any means.

Planetary nebulae seem to "survive" moonlight the best. The Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392) in Gemini is well placed at the moment. The Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is also worth hunting down as is the Blue Snowball Nebula (NGC 2662) in Andromeda.

During the late spring the Ring Nebula (M57) and Dumbbell Nebula (M27) will be on show of course and they are possible with some moonlight around.

Currently well placed, the Crab Nebula (Messier 1) is a supernova remnant but it does not like a moonlit sky really. Messier 78 is in Orion and a reflection nebula but again, moonlight is not it's friend.

If you want to go further afield there is NGC 604 which is an immense star forming HII region in another galaxy, Messier 33. The trick is to find M33 first though, and that is tricky with any moonlight in the sky.

Nebulae are not the best targets in a moonlit sky but some are worth looking out :thumbright:

I thought the "Blue Snowball" was (NGC 7662) or am I thinking of a different one.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I thought the "Blue Snowball" was (NGC 7662) or am I thinking of a different one.

You are quite right. I tend to post quite quickly at times and my memory plays tricks on me sometimes :rolleyes2:

NGC 7662 it is !

• Like 2

Excellent ideas everybody, thank you. i tried a few of the suggested targets last, M81/82 (i think i got a glimpse), tried the Eskimo Nebula but I must have missed the area (still learning how to star hop). Later the high mist made it nearly impossible to spot others. I agree the moon was gorgeous and managed to see Mars with Uranus closely (a nice blue/greenish disk). M42 is always a safe bet to go at the end of the night just to go to sleep at high spirits.

• Like 2