SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar binoviewing zoom setup

Just now, Saganite said:

As you know my bino's are the Denk II with power switch and they work perfectly on my f15 & f7.7 refractors and f5.3 Dob.  Bino's attached to my 12" dob give simply jaw dropping views so I would recommend trying yours asap. I had the WO bino several years ago and it worked perfectly on my 12" dob at that time but I had to put 60mm of tube extension between the nosepiece and the 1.6x lens to reach focus....:smiley:. Beware,

low flying over the surface of the Moon is very addictive ..:grin:

Good to hear they work very well on dobs, I certainly will be trying with mine as soon as I can. I do have the extension which came with the dob, so can use that if needed... thanks for the heads up 👍

6 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Good to hear they work very well on dobs, I certainly will be trying with mine as soon as I can. I do have the extension which came with the dob, so can use that if needed... thanks for the heads up 👍

It is in travel that you will need rather than an extension. I am hoping that the newton gpc should allow focusing on hexafoc newtonians. Hoping, rather than knowing, due to the excellent covid supply chain issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

It is in travel that you will need rather than an extension. I am hoping that the newton gpc should allow focusing on hexafoc newtonians. Hoping, rather than knowing, due to the excellent covid supply chain issues. 

Just double checked and in fact I am already using the extension for normal use, so without that extension and (possibly) using the GPC I should be ok 🤞If not, it's not the end of the world for now, as I am more than happy with the Mak for lunar, but nice extra if I can use it 👍

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Just to clarify what I said, the 60mm extension goes onto the nosepiece of the WO bino and is therefore extra in travel. On both the Skywatcher and the Lightbridge on which I used the WO bino , you could wind the focuser fully in, ie max in focus and it did not reach the focal plane unless 60 mm extension was added to the nosepiece.  The Denks I have now have this extension tube supplied with it.

• Thanks 1