Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Removing gradients in images

Desmond

Hi,

I am processing a couple of images from last night and the subjects were low in the sky, hence I have some gradients in the images. Since I was not using a filter, any suggestion for removing gradients? 
I have Photoshop as my  main processing application.

Any help much appreciated :)

Depends upon how serious the non-uniformity of the gradients are and whether you were imaging a large scale object with its own variation in intensity. Gradients in images of star fields are usually easily removed, gradients in images that contain large amounts of 'nebulosity' less so.

There's a plugin you can try for Photoshop called Gradient Xterminator. It has a free trial:- https://www.rc-astro.com/resources/GradientXTerminator/

I use Pixinsight which has a process called DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction). Other software have similar tools (Siril, APP & Startools).

In Gimp or PS you can also create your own gradients & then subtract them... Ultimately it's whatever works best for you.

Cheers
Ivor

Astro Pixel Processor has a terrific gradient tool. It's quite easy to use and very effective. The app is of course also right up there for calibration and integration, I tune up the images I get out of it in Photoshop but I'm obsessive that way.

• Like 1