Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL Maintenance Downtime Tonight 9pm GMT

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Also, the font used in the title of a post is smaller when viewing in condensed mode than in expanded mode (when looking at the list of forum posts)

I've tweaked a little more but it's on the cusp of getting too big now - what do people think (I know, I'm asking for trouble!)?

I'm now getting a panel on the right side of the screen while reading a thread with statistics and recent posts etc. Once that's been scrolled passed the page remains the same width - about 3/4 full width of of the screen. So the thread view is narrow. 

Is there a setting to disable that side pane? I can't find one!

11 minutes ago, Grant said:

I've tweaked a little more but it's on the cusp of getting too big now - what do people think (I know, I'm asking for trouble!)?

The font in expanded mode is now much better, but still too small on condensed mode. 

6 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I'm now getting a panel on the right side of the screen while reading a thread with statistics and recent posts etc. Once that's been scrolled passed the page remains the same width - about 3/4 full width of of the screen. So the thread view is narrow. 

Is there a setting to disable that side pane? I can't find one!

I've changed this so it will appear under the first post of the topic - it's a new feature that gets added to 'busy' topics to help people get a feel for what's happening in the topic - let's see how it goes..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grant said:

I've changed this so it will appear under the first post of the topic - it's a new feature that gets added to 'busy' topics to help people get a feel for what's happening in the topic - let's see how it goes..

Ah, thanks! I noticed it had disappeared.

I haven't been a fan of "new features" since the days of Bulletin Boards and Usenet and IOC and, and stone tools :)

I've never liked changes to other forums in the past but I do with the new SGL!  I especially like the buttons on the bottom.

Thanks for a great job and all the hard work.

I've got just one request.  On my mobile I all too often hit the sign out button rather than the mark all read as they're close together on a small screen.  Is there any way they can be moved apart?  Alternatively, can there be an "are you sure you want to sign out?" option added as with mark all read?

Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I've never liked changes to other forums in the past but I do with the new SGL!  I especially like the buttons on the bottom.

Thanks for a great job and all the hard work.

I've got just one request.  On my mobile I all too often hit the sign out button rather than the mark all read as they're close together on a small screen.  Is there any way they can be moved apart?  Alternatively, can there be an "are you sure you want to sign out?" option added as with mark all read?

Many thanks.

I've added a gap - does that work better?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I've been outside actually looking at the sky for the first time in ages... it's been fabulous.
However I've come back to MUCH larger font sizes.... far too large to my taste.... and much larger than they used to be.
The main problems are with the list of forums.... only getting about 7 to a page (on a large laptop screen)..... and the notifications window only holds 3 without scrolling because the text is so large....
If there is somewhere I can customise it smaller then please let me know and I'll do that..... but if not then I have to request you put it back to how it was..... that was great and this is close to unusable.

41 minutes ago, globular said:

I've been outside actually looking at the sky for the first time in ages... it's been fabulous.
However I've come back to MUCH larger font sizes.... far too large to my taste.... and much larger than they used to be.
The main problems are with the list of forums.... only getting about 7 to a page (on a large laptop screen)..... and the notifications window only holds 3 without scrolling because the text is so large....
If there is somewhere I can customise it smaller then please let me know and I'll do that..... but if not then I have to request you put it back to how it was..... that was great and this is close to unusable.

If  you're on Windows you can just do Ctrl + or -  to make it bigger / smaller.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If  you're on Windows you can just do Ctrl + or -  to make it bigger / smaller.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

The problem with the site as currently configured is that font sizes are not consistent across the entire site.  e.g. menu font much larger than posts font size.

Using browser scaling therefore doesn't work because it scales all fonts equally; not just those that are too big. 

For now I've scaled everything down to 75% in the browser and turned on the 'larger font size for post' customisation to try and equalise as much as possible.  
Not perfect but will do until Grant sorts it out.... which I'm sure he will.

If we're talking wants in general, and you've got new software, would it be possible to have the user jumped to the first new post since they last read a particular thread?  Cloudy Nights has always done this, and it makes it so much quicker to get caught up on threads.  This is especially an issue if a thread has grown additional pages, and you choose a page that is past the last one you read.  If you click back to the last read page to find your spot, there's no line showing new posts anymore because you chose incorrectly, so you're stuck reading lots of posts to try and figure out what was the last post read.

Thank you for doing the update would it be possible please in the thread text to increase the font contrast in the simple theme, I'm finding the text lighter and less easy to read, it is also this lighter colour when typing a reply. Example capture below.

Screenshot_2021-01-22-09-15-31-3.thumb.png.e872005d8e827837e51ff587905e15de.png

Same lighter text is also on the unread view though the thread title is clear and black font.

The new posts since last visit is showing some threads multiple times, rather than I think the most recent update instance only.

Edited by happy-kat

10 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Thank you for doing the update would it be possible please in the thread text to increase the font contrast in the simple theme, I'm finding the text lighter and less easy to read, it is also this lighter colour when typing a reply. Example capture below.

Screenshot_2021-01-22-09-15-31-3.thumb.png.e872005d8e827837e51ff587905e15de.png

Same lighter text is also on the unread view though the thread title is clear and black font.

The new posts since last visit is showing some threads multiple times, rather than I think the most recent update instance only.

Sorry - the default simple theme is not something we support, it’s there as the built-in theme that comes with the forum and enabled for people who prefer a white background but it’s not something we customise in any way - only the SGL default theme with a dark background is something we modify.

The ‘unread topics’ stream no longer works as it did before - this isn’t a standard activity stream so I don’t know yet it it’s a bug or a change in functionality so it no longer works in the same way.

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Is it just me or do the fonts for the messages and notifications pop-ups seem excessively large?

James

Not just you James... I reported this earlier in the thread too.

@Grant can you do anything?  Or do you consider it ok as is?

• Like 1

Just now, globular said:

Not just you James... I reported this earlier in the thread too.

@Grant can you do anything?  Or do you consider it ok as is?

I’m not making any more changes unless something is obviously massively wrong - I will review all feedback in a week when things have settled down and will make any tweaks  but otherwise I’m going to be caught in a loop of making stuff bigger and smaller to suit individuals which isn’t fun 🙂

• Thanks 1

This new look puts up a new notification (or whatever the jargon of the web software is) for each new post, rather than just listing which threads / topics have new stuff in. See screen capture.

This can't be right, it doesn't tell us enough to be useful and is just sending duplicate information that wastes screen space.

Is there a way to fix this bug? Or maybe a configuration setting to get back to how it used to be?

Example screen capture:

sgl-multiple-notifications.png.0e6a023e5c653ca4292bb36d06a5cd57.png

22 minutes ago, pete_l said:

This new look puts up a new notification (or whatever the jargon of the web software is) for each new post, rather than just listing which threads / topics have new stuff in. See screen capture.

This can't be right, it doesn't tell us enough to be useful and is just sending duplicate information that wastes screen space.

You mean the speech bubble and dot icons down the left hand side, Pete?  I have been trying to work out what purpose they serve myself.

James