Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jones Emberson 1

Kinch

This is a target that I have not 'looked at' in some years.....it was recently just in the right palce at the right time....other than having to fight very high humidity to get the Ha & OIII data. (6 hours each Ha & OIII with 2 hours RGB)

Jones-Emberson 1 (PK 164+31.1) is a planetary nebula in the constellation Lynx at a distance of 1600 light years. It is a larger planetary with low surface brightness. The 16.8-magnitude central star is a very blue white dwarf.

Jones Emberson 1 (Sign) 1500x1000 (300DPI).jpg

Edited by Kinch
  • Like 18

15 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Lovely image Brendan, hope all's well in Spain.

Thanks Richard - all good here. (No point in me complaining about my weather problems here - nowhere near as bad what some are experiencing in the British Isles just now!)  

Hi Brendan,

very nice capture of JE1! Which scope did you use?

Last April I imaged JE1 myself. I found it a challenge to capture, being quite dim and my observatory being under Bortle 5-6 skies. So I ended up with some 46 hours of data. Seeing your result made me to reprocess my data, which turned out more pleasant now (here is the old version), so thanks for inspiring!

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, inFINNity Deck said:

Which scope did you use?

Hi Nicolas. I used the FSQ130ED with 5nm filters. It may be that after my last target wich was the most dim one I have ever imaged - I found the signal on JE1 to be reasonably strong. I too had done this target before and (unlike yours) I think perhaps this second one is not as nice looking as my 1st........so if I have time, I might go look see if I can combine the data from the two sessions...🤔. If I get the chance to get more data though I will do that instead ..... this is only 14 hours and I stopped only because no prospect for good weather for quite some time as per forecast. The SNR is this one is not good - so it definitely needs more time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinch said:

Hi Nicolas. I used the FSQ130ED with 5nm filters. It may be that after my last target wich was the most dim one I have ever imaged - I found the signal on JE1 to be reasonably strong. I too had done this target before and (unlike yours) I think perhaps this second one is not as nice looking as my 1st........so if I have time, I might go look see if I can combine the data from the two sessions...🤔. If I get the chance to get more data though I will do that instead ..... this is only 14 hours and I stopped only because no prospect for good weather for quite some time as per forecast. The SNR is this one is not good - so it definitely needs more time.

Did you use it at it's native f/5 or with an extender?

Nicolàs

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

the first image I saw of this had about 20 hours of exposure but didn't look as smooth and detailed as yours.  

Thanks Martin. I put a lot of processing time into this.....hopefully it does not look over-processed. I have two monitors here (one being 4k high resolution) and it is hard to find a spot where it looks OK on both.

1 hour ago, inFINNity Deck said:

Did you use it at it's native f/5 or with an extender?

This time I used the scope at native f/5 but the previous time I did this target it was with an extender @ f/8 ( See https://www.kinchastro.com/jones-emberson-1.html) . That earlier one quite possibly may be a 'prettier' picture....but it now looks overdone to me. I like this later one better BUT as I said....it probably could do with more exposure time to improve SNR.

28 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Lovely subtle colours coming from the edges and the central star colour too

Yes - I guess I am happy with the colour....strong enough to get it noticed and yet not too much so. I think it just came together that way, rather than me actively trying for it. My big concern was always the blue star in the middle....once I had that, then I knew I would be satisfied. 🙂

• Like 1