Narrowband

I won't be taking my telescope out tonight because...

jonathan

My garden is more slippery than an ice rink at the moment.  We have water standing on the ground even though we're on the side of a hill :(

I did however actually see some stars last night, which must be the first time in at least a month.  I stepped outside the back door and looked up at Ursa Major almost directly above my head.  And my face was covered by rain :(

I guess I should at least be grateful that "Storm Christoph" appears to have left us mostly alone.  The forecast was lots of yellow rain warnings and flooding, but we've not even had half an inch of rain so far this week.  Looking at the pictures on the news this morning others appear to have been hit pretty badly :(

James

Yes, although I'm lucky enough to have an obsy, the garden has never been this water logged and boggy in a very long time. Wife is really getting on to me about the muddy footprints down the lawn!! Really need to put a path down when the weather improves. Thankfully don't suffer the floods others have to endure. Heart goes out to some of the folk I've seen on the news this morning. As if the year isn't bad enough. 

5 hours ago, wibblefish said:

My garden is going swampy (my chair legs sank the other day) but I'm going to go with because whilst the sky is gloriously clear now it will be 100% cloud cover +-rain +- fog +- sleet +- snow later :D

It's lovely at the moment and Clear Outside is blue with 20% cloud later... I've learnt not to become too excited. 🙄

no swampy issues, astro-turf can be handy sometimes, tho water sits above it in heavy rain so you have to tip-toe across if you want to not get the ends of your jeans soaking up the water. All cloud again here tho after a fairly nice day, oh well...

23 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

It's lovely at the moment and Clear Outside is blue with 20% cloud later... I've learnt not to become too excited. 🙄

I obsessively check my scope nights app and it basically just changes all the time. Its almost as if the weather isn't predictable at all 😛

• Haha 2

Here over to East all the cloudless periods are during the day, then the clouds roll in just as the sun dips below the horizon. 

Maybe if I buy a solar scope it will force a reversal (or more likely force clouds day and night)

• Haha 1

I've just been out for a reccy (first time outside today), not as bad as yesterday so long as I stay close to the house.  Looks like Moon, Mars, and Uranus will be getting ticked off tonight for me after all.  Hope those who can get out get to enjoy the sight too.

@JamesF That was our garden for the past few weeks, thawed just this week and been very very wet since (with added two days of rain).  It drains very well near the bottom though as we have proper drainage pipes there.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1

At the moment I have about 50% clouds and 50% clear skies. Moon and Mars on view in the twilight. Don't think I'll get too excited yet, still plenty of time for the balance to tip the wrong way. I'm not a "glass half empty" person but the weather of late has led me to be more than a bit cynical!

EDIT: hard to believe there's a thread like this, just shows what a poor run we've had.

Edited by wulfrun

First clear sky for what feels like months and I was due to receive my auto guiding equipment today so I was looking forward to setting that up and getting out. Only for the delivery guy to leave a “sorry we missed you” card even tho someone was home all day. 😡  I have lost all interest to go out tonight now

Edited by Thorney
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

And now it looks like it might not be clear for very long at all.  The hours of clear sky forecast after midnight are now all forecast to be cloudy.  The clear sky that was forecast now has not arrived.  We shall see what happens in between, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

James

EMERGENCY DISMANTLE!!!

Just looked outside and it's pouring down! Luckily the scope was pointing down so the optics are dry. The scope and mount are a bit damp though. And in the panic to get inside I knocked the eyepiece off my finder, so, out of action until I can fix 🤬

• Sad 1