Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mount

Hello. 

I bought my first telescope today after a lot of reading- SW Explorer 150P- with an EQ mount. 

I’m  starting to think I’ve made a mistake. This EQ mount sounds so complicated! I’ve read the manuals a few times but it still mashes my swede!

Are there any recommendations on a guide to get an understanding on how these work for a simpleton! I’m starting to think I should have got an alt-az 😞

Okay, Okay, deep breaths, stay calm!!

Best thing to do is start at the beginning, don't try to get it all at once.  YouTube is your best friend from herein.  Start indoors to get the basics of assemby and balance:

1. Get your tripod roughly level (don't get too wound up about perfect)

2. add the EQ mount to the tripod, add weights and scope

3. balance it.  Turn the Declination (Dec) axis so the scope is horizontal.  With the dec clutch open, make sure it's rougly balanced (move the scope up or down to get it right).  Be careful that the scope isn't so loose it falls off the mount.

4.  Open the RA axis clutch and move the counterweights up/down the bar until it balances.

OK, when you do this outside you want to make sure the RA axis is pointing North towards the pole star/Polaris

This is the first thing to get right.  If you don't get the mount pointing North, you're going to have a lot of problems finding/tracking objects.

Look up videos about polar alignment, BUT don't get too obsessed with it.  A lot of them talk about drift alignment, etc.  All this is to get 'perfect' alignment.  For visual use you don't need it to be perfect, so don't mash your swede getting it perfect.

Is it a GoTo mount, does it have motors/handset?

Edited by craigg
poor keyboard skills

I was typing at the same time as craigg above.
There is significant overlap, but see what you think.

Not complicated. Just needs a bit of thought. Lets start easy.
Work indoors. Especially with today's weather.
It is something I have done many times, so just do it without thinking.
First time I spent a long time. But now it is like riding a bike.
The biggest problem is remembering how to explain it - a bit like tying shoelaces.

Set the tripod with the peg (or label) facing what you think is north. Near enough is good enough.
Now adjust the legs to make the top level. If there is an inbuilt spirit level all the better. But by eye is OK for now.

Now fit the mount onto the tripod. Leave the screws loose so you can move things easily.
There are left/right adjustment bolts. Put these about half way in, just about gripping the peg on the tripod top.
Next look at the lift/lower screws. Set these so the mount is pointing to the sky about 53 degress (your latitude). Again near enough is good enough.

That is the tripod and mount set up for viewing. now you can set the screws a bit tighter.
That is good enough when outside for manual use.

Now if you want to get more accurate you squint through polar scope at Polaris and align a bit better. But for visual use, don't bother.

The next stage is putting the scope tube on the mount and balancing.

HTH, David.

No it’s not a motorised or goto. I’m hoping once I’ve built it up and had a play it might make a bit more sense. 

You say it doesn’t have to be perfect, so if I’m out the front of my house, facing south, and not able to see Polaris as long as it’s roughly in that direction it will be fine (using a compass or something)?

I know my latitude so once that’s set in and generally pointing North it will be ok? Or am I over simplifying it?

It's only as complicated as you want to make it. The basic mount is fairly simple - it's all the add on bits like setting circles and the polar scope that make it seem complicated. It can be a bit of a faff at first to get it all balanced and the polar axis pointed correctly, but just take your time and preferably have a dry run in daylight first. The polar alignment is not at all critical - I know where north is in my garden, and I just plonk my scope down facing roughly in the right direction - doesn't matter if you're 10 degrees or so out (unless you want to take photos, but that can wait.)

David

A manual mount is a good choice at this stage. Goto is another level of problems to get your head around. Yes just point where you think polaris will be.

On balancing.

You are using the weight to counter the scope distance from the pivot point. As the scope distance from pivot is fixed, you slide the weight to suit.
For now scope weight will not change siginifcantly. Eyepeice swap for example makes near enough no difference. But hand a big SLR camera on there....
You can put a bit insulating tape on the counterweight bar to give you an aiming point to speed assembly every time out.

The scope has a heavy mirror at the bottom end and not very heavy focusser and eyepIece at the top end.
Slide the tube up/down the rings until you get balance. Again a bit of tape to mark the tub position.

For now near enough balance is good enough. The force needed to operate the slo mo controls is small, as is strain on the mount.
If you had motor drives they might struggle off balance. also the mount/tripod flexing off balance might upset your long exposure photos - all for the future.

Point the scope whare you want to look, with the clutches loose. Have look through the finder, centre the target, tighten the clutches, and then using your 25mm eyepiece take a look.

Go for easy bright targets first. Get your hand in operating the focusser. Then go for higher magnification.

Going back to something not covered.
Align your finder and main scope during the day - unless you have a chunk of moon available.
Daytime can be TV aerial, chimnet, etc at a distance.

Keep asking, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
Spilling mistooks

Well you could always try it out in the living room. You don't need to be outside to set it all up and balance it. Might even be an advantage to do it in the warmth and to be well lit. You can even do things like align the finderscope from indoors looking out of a window.

And it's raining down South as well !

David

I will echo #jiggy67 it will all become second nature after a few trips into the night.

The best thing is that you have not gone Goto with motors at the outset. You can simply place the tripod pointing north, unlock the two clutch knobs and move the scope around to where you want to point it.

Polar alignment and all that follows can be the next the next phase. Enjoy the night sky without added complications. Observe a few things, moon, bright stars, see where it takes you and upgrade from there.

Defiantly use this site as an repository of knowledge, but do not be afraid to contact your local Astro club. I can be certain you will have good people falling over themselves to help you and answer your questions.

Other than the night sky itself, the biggest kick most astronomers get is getting a beginner up and running. I have been on the receiving end and it will make me be a helper in the future.

Good luck and ask questions.

Marvin

Excellent advice added - like everyone else said, don't be afraid to ask questions.  As others have said joining your local Astro club will also help, not only with setup but inspiration.  My local club (Wessex Astro) have been excellent.

Regarding the North alignment:- once you are setup outside, and you find an object you want to observe, the better aligned to Polaris you are the easier it will be to follow it as the Earth rotates.  Think of it like this, if the RA axis is reasonably well aligned to Polaris, it is parallel to the Earth's rotational axis, meaning that to follow an object you are only going to need to move one axis on the mount, the RA axis.  Occasionally you may need to move the Dec to account for some innacuracies, but mostly just that one.  Where a lot of folks get frustrated is not having the mount aligned even roughly, and having to keep adjusting both axis to keep the object in the field of view, not easy for your brain when the image in the eyepiece is upside down.  This will definately cause mashed swede syndrome followed by frustration and giving up.

One last point (sorry if someone already mentioned this, not had time to read all the responses), the mount will have a altitude adjustment (straight up and down) and a scale on the side with degrees.  Before you take it outside set this approximately to your Latitude, so for Derbyshire you're going to be setting it to about 53 degrees.  Once you level it outside it's going to be pointing the RA axis at about the right angle for Polaris, you will then just need to move it left or right to be aligned with Polaris.  If you can't see Polaris from your location, use a compass to point it North.  Again, don't let perfection be the enemy of the good, just as close as you can get it without raising your blood pressure.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Setting up

Place the mount on the tripod so that the spigot that pokes up from the top of the tripod is between the two horizontal adjustment screws and then secure the mount to the tripod by fitting / tightening the bolt from the tripod head into the base of the mount.  Release the altitude adjustment bolts that run at 90 degrees to the two horizontal adjustment screws and tilt the mount upwards until the angle indicated on the mount is the same degree as your latitude and then finger tighten the two altitude adjustment bolts until they become tight against the mount.

Fit the weight bar, and add the counterweights, pushing them all the way up the bar to the mount and tighten the securing bolts.  If not already fitted add the dovetail and telescope rings, and then add the telescope tube assembly, placing the tube evenly in the rings. Release the counterweight securing nut and slide the weight halfway along the bar

Now rather than type up 1000’s words, I would suggest you watch this set of videos.  They are quite old, but really very helpful.  Here it explains how to balance the scope  

Once you have the scope balanced then you can set up you can then polar align the mount when you get a clear night and can sight polaris.  Again, rather than repeat what’s already been written, have a read of Astro-baby’s excellent website http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/simple-polar-alignment/

If you are unsure of the parts mentioned, such as the securing bolts then consult the documentation that came with the scope and mount.  If you didn’t receive the manual it can be downloaded from their global support website, eg https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/upfiles/en_download_caty01316546576.pdf

Thanks guys, a lot for me to read properly later and digest.  I appreciate everyone’s help here 👍

I put it all together today, that was a challenge- didn’t realise how heavy those weights are. 

I set up the finder scope easily enough but found I was getting in all sorts of a tangle moving the scope about 🤣.  And the adjuster cables didn’t seem to be in the right place. 

I’ll have a look on YouTube on my days off to see what it’s meant to look like properly set up!!