Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starwave 102 7fl FPL 53

Just waiting for 2 inch diagonal to arrive from FLO tomorrow now. 

Overall the fit and finish is quite a bit better than the SW ED100 and ED 120 I used to own. It feels very solid on the AZ4 and expect no issues whatsoever as an outfit, it's the perfect combination as far as I see. 

As soon as I can take it out for a first light session I will report back, but I am convinced that I have done the right thing buying this scope.

34 minutes ago, John said:

It looks lovely - congratulations !

Thanks John and thanks for the sage advise. My diagonal arrives tomorrow so I just need to drop my MKIII Baader Zoom into it and wait for a clear night....

I could be waiting some time...

• Like 1

The scope looks perfect on the AZ4, a lovely simple, but quality set up that will get a lot of use I’m sure. 

FYI,  I found having the RDF or straight through finder attached to the focuser drawtube involved too much neck twisting, so I ended up putting  a nice RACI finder there, and attaching a Rigel Quickfinder further up the tube. I’m sure you’ll find your own solutions if it’s a problem for you too. 👍

B273D1BC-3CA8-48CC-8221-C3CA01793099.thumb.jpeg.44d12ea0f555fd4d5c3da7fd9302e655.jpeg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RobertI said:

The scope looks perfect on the AZ4, a lovely simple, but quality set up that will get a lot of use I’m sure. 

FYI,  I found having the RDF or straight through finder attached to the focuser drawtube involved too much neck twisting, so I ended up putting  a nice RACI finder there, and attaching a Rigel Quickfinder further up the tube. I’m sure you’ll find your own solutions if it’s a problem for you too. 👍

B273D1BC-3CA8-48CC-8221-C3CA01793099.thumb.jpeg.44d12ea0f555fd4d5c3da7fd9302e655.jpeg

Do you mind me asking which RACI finder you are using? I just bought the same scope and I haven’t picked out a finderscope yet. Do you know if the Altair finder comes with the bracket to fit it to the scope? TIA!

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
Error

Hi Nicola the short answer is no, you need to buy a finder with a shoe. I like red dot finders personally. RVO has the WO version on my scope in stock if that helps any. 

The Wicklow mountains eh? Been a long time since I was there. I did most of my stargazing in North Co Lietrim and Sligo when I lived in Ireland.

10 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Do you mind me asking which RACI finder you are using? I just bought the same scope and I haven’t picked out a finderscope yet. Do you know if the Altair finder comes with the bracket to fit it to the scope? TIA!

I use the Altair RACI finder which comes with base. Not the cheapest option but works well. 👍 Like Carl I find the RDF is fine for most targets on most nights, although the finder is very useful on moonlit nights or in areas where there are few guide stars. 

10 hours ago, RobertI said:

I use the Altair RACI finder which comes with base. Not the cheapest option but works well. 👍 Like Carl I find the RDF is fine for most targets on most nights, although the finder is very useful on moonlit nights or in areas where there are few guide stars. 

Thanks a lot - I’m thinking of getting the Altair RACI finder too. Yours looks great on your scope!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Carl Au said:

Hi Nicola the short answer is no, you need to buy a finder with a shoe. I like red dot finders personally. RVO has the WO version on my scope in stock if that helps any. 

The Wicklow mountains eh? Been a long time since I was there. I did most of my stargazing in North Co Lietrim and Sligo when I lived in Ireland.

Thinking of just going all out and getting the Altair RACI - I haven’t used a finderscope in a while but I really liked the one that was on my LX200. Wicklow is a good place for reasonably dark skies - although I brought my little 127 Mak to the Burren in Co. Clare last summer and Wow the skies were great! Leitrim and Sligo would be good too I imagine :)