SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Side-by-Side Setup with a Canon 60D?

Scorpius

In a side-by-side configuration, any tips for aligning the finder scope with a Canon 60D and also, while doing a Celestron handset star align - how do you perform the second step (center star in eye piece and press align) when the camera itself has no eyepiece? The kit is an Advanced VX mount, a Canon 60D with Samyang 135mm/F2, an Orion 60mm finder/guide scope Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope with Helical Focuser | Orion Telescopes and an ADM 11-inch side by side bar VSBS- V Series Side-By-Side System. 11" Connecting Bar - ADM Accessories  with camera mount VDUP-CM- V Series Universal Dovetail Camera Mount. - ADM Accessories and 7-inch dovetail bar for the scope VDUP7- V Series Universal Dovetail Bar. 7" Long - ADM Accessories I also have an assortment of riser blocks to raise the scope to the same elevation as the camera. This will be my first attempt at DSLR AP as well as a side-by-side setup so all advice will be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Scorpius said:

In a side-by-side configuration, any tips for aligning the finder scope with a Canon 60D and also, while doing a Celestron handset star align - how do you perform the second step (center star in eye piece and press align) when the camera itself has no eyepiece? The kit is an Advanced VX mount, a Canon 60D with Samyang 135mm/F2, an Orion 60mm finder/guide scope Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope with Helical Focuser | Orion Telescopes and an ADM 11-inch side by side bar VSBS- V Series Side-By-Side System. 11" Connecting Bar - ADM Accessories  with camera mount VDUP-CM- V Series Universal Dovetail Camera Mount. - ADM Accessories and 7-inch dovetail bar for the scope VDUP7- V Series Universal Dovetail Bar. 7" Long - ADM Accessories I also have an assortment of riser blocks to raise the scope to the same elevation as the camera. This will be my first attempt at DSLR AP as well as a side-by-side setup so all advice will be greatly appreciated.

My camera and guide scope are attached to a single 8" dovetail, the camera at one end, the guidescope at the other.

For star alignment I just use liveview at 10x on my Canon, just make sure the magnified area is reset to the central screen location before going to10x mag. It's fairly easy to judge when the alignment star is in the centre of the screen.

As for guide scope/camera alignment, my camera and guidescope can only be fitted in a particular orientation so I just aligned them the once in daylight on a distant object. I would suspect that at just 135mm the alignment will not be that critical, particular for exposures in minutes (rather than hours).

• Like 1