Narrowband

TAL200K crayford upgrade help

(also posted in a reply thread elsewhere) Hello there! I'm a newbie to this forum so I apologise if my question has been answered already elsewhere. I've been using a TAL200K for about 15 years but getting fed up with the rack and pinion focuser so i treated myself to beautifully made in Germany 2" thread adaptor plate and a generic 10:1 SGT crayford focuser ( these are branded Skywatcher, Lacerta, OVL but I think they are all the same. ) turns out this is much longer than the original TAL and only near terrestrial objects can be bought into focus. Unless there's an easy fix i'm sending the focuser back for a refund, soooo, is there a low profile crayford or other smooth action focuser that will fit the 50.8mm threaded plate which has a similar low profile to the original TAL ? best wishes.

One of our members, eliot, has clearly managed to upgrade the focuser on their TAL 200K. It looks like it needs to be a very low profile unit though with a low profile diagonal modification as well:

Unfortunately the Crawmach focusers are out of production now. Maybe there is something similar from another brand available ?

I replaced the focuser on my Tal 200K. I, like you, purchased the adaptor plate and contacted Crawmach for a replacement focuser. Initially they did reply but once I specified my requirements and after repeated emails, I heard nothing. I opted for the Baader Steeltrack SCT focuser. It had the lowest profile of 93mm. Bearing in mind, I removed the clamp adaptors to reduce the profile to 80mm, as I'm AP only and needed the back focus. 

Steve

• Like 1