Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky at Night

Hertford Stargazer

15 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

WOW. So when it is not made anymore off the back of comments like this, how are you all going to see it on YouTube? If it is not made anymore.......

Guess we can all watch repeats of the great Patrick for ever more. Perhaps we can call it “The Patrick for ever more“

With nothing of educational value available on TV why are people on this forum calling for astronomy on mainstream tv to be closed down.

Endless programming about dating, dancing and baking and some of it on ice. How is it many of you, the fellow membership want this abandoned from terrestrial tv? 

Just watch an edit on YouTube! Are you kidding me? Next time any one of you moans about light pollution from urbanisation, or the lack of education of the up coming youth, look in the mirror.

You might not like the latest format and presenters, but the reflection In the mirror might be the least palatable thing on the menu.

Marvin Jenkins.

signature in full because I want SandN to continue to educate the up and coming not those already here.

At no point did I critisise anyone personally and all I said was that it had lost its way. 

"You might not like the latest format and presenters, but the reflection In the mirror might be the least palatable thing on the menu"

May I suggest you take your immflamatory rhetoric elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 19:21, Marvin Jenkins said:

WOW. So when it is not made anymore off the back of comments like this, how are you all going to see it on YouTube? If it is not made anymore.......

Guess we can all watch repeats of the great Patrick for ever more. Perhaps we can call it “The Patrick for ever more“

With nothing of educational value available on TV why are people on this forum calling for astronomy on mainstream tv to be closed down.

Endless programming about dating, dancing and baking and some of it on ice. How is it many of you, the fellow membership want this abandoned from terrestrial tv? 

Just watch an edit on YouTube! Are you kidding me? Next time any one of you moans about light pollution from urbanisation, or the lack of education of the up coming youth, look in the mirror.

You might not like the latest format and presenters, but the reflection In the mirror might be the least palatable thing on the menu.

Marvin Jenkins.

signature in full because I want SandN to continue to educate the up and coming not those already here.

The OP actually made a point of saying how nice the presenters are, as he had met them, so maybe your rant is unfounded....🤔🤔

• Like 1

I still like S@N although it isn’t of course the same as when Patrick was presenting it. You can’t replace the irreplaceable Patrick. 

However think they are doing the best they can to present an interesting show, well most of the time anyway. 🙂

Just be glad the show is still here. 👍🏻

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I still like S@N although it isn’t of course the same as when Patrick was presenting it. You can’t replace the irreplaceable Patrick. 

However think they are doing the best they can to present an interesting show, well most of the time anyway. 🙂

Just be glad the show is still here. 👍🏻

Totally agree. Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel publish excellent monthly "What to see..." Youtube videos to compliment Sky at Night Magazine.

It would interesting to see Pete have his own channel doing instructional videos, with guest appearances or collaborations with other expert amateurs.

I myself seem to get most of my astronomy info online nowadays.

I don't really watch that much on Tv (certainly very little on the BBC) and although i've enjoyed the Sky at Night for years in the past

i rarely see it now or even know when its on. Now i've got Sky Q perhaps its a good time to get reacquainted.

I really enjoy Pete L and Paul A's YouTube shows, and subscribe to this and a few other, like Astrobackyard, AstroDad, Star Stuff, and a few others.

I also still get Astronomy Now magazine and have been a long subscriber to it.

For S@N, or any other programme to be relevant to the likes of SGLers, it has to be new stuff, not months old.
Now we can get the new stuff online.
That does not go well with clever presentations that can be sold on to other channels.
Think about Sir David Attenborough's wildlife programmes, sold on for years to other companies.
They can't we churned out with fresh content every month.

Did I miss the ITV, C4, C5, etc variants of Sky At night? Or don't these people think there is any money in this?
Are we talking about a very niche audience programme?

Up to Apollo 11 the USA were glued to their TV sets (well a lot of us were) watching live launches, spacewalks, etc.
After Apollo 11 the USA screened re-runs of Lucille Ball in preference to live launches.
How many 'men in the street' could tell you anything accurate about who is on the ISS. What is the ISS might be the response!