Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dimensions of star discovery p150i

Thank you to everyone who offered me advice on a new telescope purchase. At the end of all the research and discussions I have gone for now with the discovery p150i wifi - it best suits my starting needs - taking into account what people said about my competing needs 😁

I am now thinking about what to store it in so that it is safe in my car and on our motorhome travels - what do people use - soft bags or aluminium cases? 

I'm a newbie to all of this so am testing the waters so to speak - having made a lot of my outdoor gear over the years - i did wonder about making a carry bag.

1. what would people recommend  - aluminium or wooden case or soft bag with padding?

2. - a stupid question - remember i am new to all of this - but out of interest - can anyone tell me the precise diameter from outside edge to outside edge and precise length from outside rear end to front end lip of the optical tube assembly? 

many thanks 

steve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

2.  I Make the length 69cm, and the diameter 19cm (including the lip at the ends). But if you include the focuser, then it's 27cm from edge to edge (with focuser fully retracted).

thats really helpful - thank  you for doing this for me - much appreciated. out of interest - how did you know/work this out?  I've been searching on the internet but couldn't find anything. 

1 minute ago, Plymouthwelshboy said:

hahaha - and there i was thinking - wow - genius level 🤣.  Zermelo - thank you for taking the time to do that for me - most appreciated.  Out of interest how do you carry and/or store our telescopes? 

I carry it in pieces very carefully from my study out to the patio in my back garden.
I haven't yet taken it on any outings to dark sites, but when I do, I'll strap the OTA onto the back seat of my car and put the rest in the boot.
Sorry, can't help you with bags or cases, but I'll be watching to see what answers you get 😀

In answer to a similar question about 3 weeks ago , I posted that I'd just seen this in B&Q

https://www.diy.com/departments/really-useful-wrapping-paper-storage-box/287461_BQ.prd

and it fair shouted 'telescope box'  at me 😀 Well except for the price (£12) which is most non-telescope-kit like !

There's even a 1200mm one intended for storage of artificial xmas trees for a really long refractor .

Heather