sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Buy / Sell / Wanted Scam Warning

On 28/01/2021 at 18:36, Carbon Brush said:

Sounds like one I had a few years ago. His story was that my computer had a virus and was sending out loads of emails. I played along. It provided a good 10-15 minutes amusement and preventing him from scamming others during this time. He had me checking the computer registry! There is a 'CLI' number in there that is unique and the proof that he is genuine. Actually it is common to lots of Win10 computers.ūü§£ As often with scammers,¬† his command of English was not that good and 'British Telecom' was sometimes 'British Technical'. In the end when I asked for proof of his identity, he gve me a phone number for his supervisor. It was actually a London theatre booking office!
They can be fun if you have 5 minutes to spare.

I always have a chat with these kinds of people. I like to amuse myself. I had a call claiming I'd had a car accident that wasn't my fault. When the guy asked when it happened I told him 30th of February. It took him a long time to realise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We’ve had a number of reports of scammers joining SGL and pming members regarding their classified or wanted posts. The message reads along the lines of - I saw your advert and my uncle / stepfat

If any of you get a PM from new member Jeff753, please ignore it. Jeff753 has been identified as a scammer and is now banned.

We are banning these folk as fast as we can. I would ask everyone to remain vigilant and hit that report button at the slightest suspicion. I'd rather have a few false alarms than have a member scamme

Posted Images

A long time ago I was getting a heck of a lot of phone calls,  asking for the doctor. My phone number apparently had only 1digit difference to a local GP. These were  at all times of the day and night. In the end I had to change my exdirectory number.

Then I started getting exactly these type of possible scam calls. So I had a bit think. I recorded an answer message along the lines of :

"Hi, sorry we are not in at the moment, that is because we are out. We are out because we are not in, but when we are in we don't usually answer the phone very often. We are out because we needed to get some shopping in. Please leave a message when you hear the beep.  As soon as we get back and hear your message, we will delete it. Now how does it feel to have your time wasted you plonker !"

End to troublesome calls after a very short while. But I had to delete the message after a while as the wife and her mother nearly crowned me ūüė°

You just can't win.

• Haha 1

Lol.  

I have done something similar except mine is a more acceptable message.  Since lockdown we have been getting at least 5 hoax calls a day and we got fed up with it.  So I spent a couple of hours going through all our address books and contact lists etc and entering all the numbers of people likely to telephone us.  So now we don't answer the phone unless the name comes up.

But then I was worried I might miss an important call from our GP as they normally withhold their numbers because of confidentiality, especially we didn't want to miss our call inviting us for our vaccines, so my message went along the lines of:

"This is (first names only), this phone is being monitored, please say who you are or if you are our GP practice the name of the practice".   

If it is someone we know but not on our list they will say who they are and we pick up the phone.     Anyone who is a hoax just hangs up as soon as the message finishes and the answerphone starts recording.  If it is someone we know but not on our list I add their number afterwards.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While having the feeling im in contact with a scammer at this moment, i thought to dive in the archive of SGL to check if the scope im discussing is maybe linked to a member here.  coincidentally this thread is started by Grant. The (maybe fake) seller’s name is also Grant.  
Anyway. He offers a 14‚ÄĚ scope from Belgium. ¬†While we are in a chat about the scope, i started to google this model and found a very similar Meade 14‚ÄĚ. ¬†Except the one i found through google is sold in the USA one year ago. ¬†

The belgium one im discussing:

2A3827D9-C06E-489D-B56A-5A95C516D3E8.thumb.png.6c90af863fa98e40ffb651eaeac7c0ad.png

The usa one i found through google:

84A8C06A-7AE8-40AB-80FC-C05D34911D25.jpeg.340a9d7db480ad6afdc35aaafd0de5fe.jpeg

I might be wrong, but this one is hard to believe. It is shipped from the us to europe during the global lockdown?

16 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

While having the feeling im in contact with a scammer at this moment, i thought to dive in the archive of SGL to check if the scope im discussing is maybe linked to a member here.  coincidentally this thread is started by Grant. The (maybe fake) seller’s name is also Grant.  
Anyway. He offers a 14‚ÄĚ scope from Belgium. ¬†While we are in a chat about the scope, i started to google this model and found a very similar Meade 14‚ÄĚ. ¬†Except the one i found through google is sold in the USA one year ago. ¬†

2A3827D9-C06E-489D-B56A-5A95C516D3E8.thumb.png.6c90af863fa98e40ffb651eaeac7c0ad.png

I might be wrong, but this one is hard to believe. It is shipped from the us to europe during the global lockdown?

Looks like the usual scam, someone else's ad ripped off, you could message the guy on CN about it

Dave

A few years ago someone in California contacted me to say that some scammer in the US was using photos of a CPC1100 I had sold. He had seen my original ad and thought he recognised the scope as the one I had sold. Checked it out and yup there were the photos of the scope taken in my back garden. He warned people on CN about it and hopefully spoiled the scammers day. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks like the usual scam, someone else's ad ripped off, you could message the guy on CN about it

Dave

Yes i did. Just moments ago. ¬†Received a reply immediately from the genuine ex owner. ¬†He sold it to an American¬†last year. ¬†Also reported the ad in Belgium. ¬† Its been there for 4 days now. ¬†I hope nobody have send a¬†deposit¬†ūüėĎ.¬†

• Like 1

You're not wrong, it is the same "scenery" behind. 

Carole 

• Like 1

If you haven't read "Greetings in Jesus Name: The Scambaiter Letters" I can recommend it as both enlightening and humorous. The author Mike Berry spends hours wasting scammers time with often very funny and (for them) expensive results. 

I was reminded about scambaiting when I watched this week's edition of BBC Click: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000thg3

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Robindonne said:

A useful tool to check images is google image search, although I prefer the less data harvesting option of TinEye if possible (but it at the moment it doesn't always yield as comprehensive results as G.)

A couple of months ago I wanted to solve a set of online puzzles which involved identifying pro cyclists from photos of them , which would have been totally impossible for me without those image search engines, and I found a really good option was to install the 'Search by Image'  extension to firefox, which queries several different image search engines with a single click .

Very handy for spotting scammers using stolen profile pic.s or images of things they are 'selling' , or people who steal your photos and re use them online without permission or attribution. I'd be carefully checking the true origin of the  image of any expensive item I was considering buying second hand online ...

Heather

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

A useful tool to check images is google image search

Thats indeed a useful tool. Not waterproof though. The images from this website are not detected by reverse image search. its a non stop cat and mouse game. What surprises me the most is that the belgium scope is still visible? Have send tweedehands.be multiple "fraudulent messages", an email from the original seller from usa, and screenshots from my conversation with the scammer before i found out it was fake. It is still an active advertisement.

If the online photo does not give a a result by copy/pasting the URL, it should be possible to right click on the image, save it to your computer, then drag and drop it into the search engine. Sometimes that gets a result when a link doesn't. If you can't download the photo a snip or screenshot works too.

Give google (please try a less nosy search engine first though ) a key word or two to work with as well, and you can get a decent result : I snipped the image your 'phone pic, added the words 'meade 14" ' and got this, the relevant photo on Cloudy Nights is about a third of the way down the page.

I bet some lazy scammers will find a photo to steal by searching google, so a reverse image search is quite likely to show them up !

• Thanks 1

This is one of the reasons I prefer to delete my pics after sale as they show up in a google search but I know it’s frowned upon on here 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 2
On 21/03/2021 at 00:15, Robindonne said:

posting this scope from Lagos would be quite expensive. I reported a ebay scammer using this image multiple times.

22 hours ago, johninderby said:

Found a suitable watermark app. ūüĎćūüŹĽ

B8802FA9-4F53-4D8F-B488-AEEF1C580DD9.jpeg

Selling already:)???

LOL

TBH I’ve been luckily I suppose, c£3000 on purchases and all genuine

• Like 1

I had a scammer today pm me on here regarding my wanted post for a star adventurer pro, saying his stepfather had one for sale and email him on some dodgy Gmail account, no thank you and duly reported

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

I had a scammer today pm me on here regarding my wanted post for a star adventurer pro, saying his stepfather had one for sale and email him on some dodgy Gmail account, no thank you and duly reported

And duly banned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to say this, but SGL's success as an astronomy forum with the "Advertisement Section" and the posting  of who owns what as, "Signatures", has been its own down fall in respect to scammers. Once a website becomes known to the wrong type of people it is then almost impossible to stay safe at all times as the word is spread among the criminal element of society.

I do not post any signature concerning any item that I own for that very reason. Sad but I think safer in the long run.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Sorry to say this, but SGL's success as an astronomy forum with the "Advertisement Section" and the posting  of who owns what as, "Signatures", has been its own down fall in respect to scammers. Once a website becomes known to the wrong type of people it is then almost impossible to stay safe at all times as the word is spread among the criminal element of society.

I do not post any signature concerning any item that I own for that very reason. Sad but I think safer in the long run.

Thanks Derek. The Admin/Mod team are currently discussing a revised classified section. I will report your concerns so that we can debate it further.

• Like 1

Perhaps not allowing new members to post sales ads for a certain time after joining the forum. Would inconvenience new members perhaps but think they would understand the requirement. 

Also perhaps not allowing new menbers to view the wanted section for a certain time as well.

As to new members PMing about selling something that can easily be dealt with by any member receiving such an offer reporting it.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1