Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 Vs Celestron 127

22 hours ago, Spier24 said:

I've only heard good things about the scope. I believe the only differences between the Skywatcher and celestron versions is that the celestron tripod is a bit sturdier and the celestron alignment system is easier to use. Although the new Skywatcher az gti is supposed to be he best of the bunch in terms of tripod stability.

If I get the scope then I'll probably just upgrade the eyepieces to some standard skywatcher plossls. 

Honestly, the only thing I would critique is the tripod - but I’ve got so used to it now I don’t mind it anymore. The alignment and GoTo are great. I just bought a Sky-Watcher EQM-35 for my new refractor so we’ll see how they compare! Definitely upgrade the eyepieces, it improves the whole viewing experience so much. Best of luck with your purchase!

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 19:46, Nicola Fletcher said:

Honestly, the only thing I would critique is the tripod - but I’ve got so used to it now I don’t mind it anymore. The alignment and GoTo are great. I just bought a Sky-Watcher EQM-35 for my new refractor so we’ll see how they compare! Definitely upgrade the eyepieces, it improves the whole viewing experience so much. Best of luck with your purchase!

I know about the eyepieces, I'm thinking of upgrading the 10mm eyepiece to either a 10 or 7.5mm skywatcher plossl. Also thinking of getting a 17mm plossl as a middle of the road eyepiece.

18 hours ago, Spier24 said:

I'm thinking of upgrading the 10mm eyepiece to either a 10 or 7.5mm skywatcher plossl.

I have the Celestron Plossl eyepiece set, and find that the 6mm & 8mm have very limited eye relief; almost useless for me, as I wear glasses, and without glasses my eyelashes touch the surround for the final lens. For the higher magnifications, I tend to use the 13mm or 17mm with a x2 Barlow, or the Svbony Ultrawide 9mm & 6mm.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
add Svbony
  • Like 1