Narrowband

Quark Combo has a bit of sideways wiggle (play) internally

Florin Andrei

Finally I decided to upgrade the focuser on my ED80 refractor to the Moonlite 2.5". It was time to do that anyway. Very impressed with literally everything about that focuser: execution, feature set, visual design. They have threaded adapters for every format out there, including T2. So I was able to thread the 3x telecentric directly into the focuser. No smooth bore joints anywhere - it's all threaded all the way to the camera.

So, with everything installed, I grabbed the butt end of the camera and wiggled it left-right-up-down. To my great surprise, there was a bit of play in the stack - and it was in the Quark etalon itself! Oh, no...

It's internal to the Quark, it's between the main body (red color) and the black ring facing the scope. It's not any of the threaded connections. It's not a lot of wiggle, maybe 1 or 2mm at the butt end of the camera. Still, it seemed a bit underwhelming, after all these efforts to make the system rigid.

Keep in mind, I have not tested the system yet - I'm very busy with work, and the Sun is pretty quiet these days. So it may still work. But my question is - how typical is this? Does this sound familiar?

Which side is the actual etalon mounted on internally? Is it the scope side ring? Or the other side?