Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Experimenting With Old Data

Due to the bad weather and having no new data to play with, I have dug out some of my early astro imaging efforts. I wasn't expecting much as the source data is really bad. The RGB data was taken with an stick Canon EOS 1000d through my C8 with a 0.63 FR. Now the focal reducer I used at the time was one of the dodgy Chinese knock offs that means that the back focus was all wrong creating misshaped stars towards the edges and really bad vignetting, most of which has been cropped out because of the size of my Ha data.

122308584_HorseheadRGB.thumb.jpg.a4cca4b2ba3be8ad538ab0c09c2c66a4.jpg

The Ha data was my first every attempt at Ha when I first got my AtikOne 6.0. So the Ha data has issues as well. The Ha was taken using the same scope and focal reducer set up as above, so is suffering from the same issues as the RGB. But it also has the additional problem of being slightly out of focus, so some stars are little donuts.

1893483030_HorseheadHa.thumb.jpg.842172c21d0d56520184860ebf8e091e.jpg

From the above, you would think why bother, so did I, but I really wanted to try some new techniques and try to combine data from different sources and image scales. I am just starting to get used to Astro Pixel Processor, Starnet++ and Affinity Photo so thought that this would be a real test. It was, I stacked the Ha & RGB files in APP so that the resulting files where same size and orientation, I also used the batch crop and rotate tools to get the framing I wanted, and to cut out as much of the crud as possible. I also used the background / light pollution removal tools before moving the two files (RGB & Ha), on to Starnet++ where I created starless versions of each. I then did the rest of the processing in Affinity Photo.

466655586_HorseheadHaRGB.thumb.jpg.a86c7aade763c0339aa9303f9ca4ee5a.jpg

Its not the best image I have ever produced, but from such bad data I am quite pleased. I suppose the moral of the story is never throw away any data, however bad.

Thanks

Darren

• Like 5