SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 180/2700 maksutov for planetary imaging?

Hi,  Just after some advise on what your thoughts are on the Skywatcher 180/2700 maksutov for planetary imaging?

It will me mounted on a Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 mount and all driven from a laptop.

I currently have a Skywatcher 16" Dobsonian with goto and also a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED

I am basically just looking for a good dedicated planetary scope for imaging the planets and have read some good reports on the Skywatcher 180/2700 maksutov but there is not much talk really on them.

Are they a good scope for this or would i be better looking at something else?

I am using the Skywatcher Evostar 150ED for DSO imaging but yet to really try it out as due to cloudy weather for the last 2 months straight here.

The Dobsoanian is mainly used as a dedicated visual scope and works well so far.

So all up looking for some advice for a dedicated planetary imaging scope.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I used to have a Skymax180 but have now replaced it with a Classical Cassegrain. The CC has a fixed primary and a crayford focuser and as it doesn’t have a corrector no problems with dewing and quick cooldown.Similar size and weight.

Find the CC will take more magnification than the mak. Wouldn’t go back to the mak now as I just like the CC more. 🙂

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f12-m-lrs-classical-cassegrain-telescope-ota.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_stellalyra-8-f12-m-lrs-classical-cassegrain-telescope-ota_171467.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I had a 150 Skywatcher Mak, only sold it for an APO but, I have taken some of my fav planetary images through that 150. Putting aside whatever benefits other designs have (all have pro's and cons) from the POV of planetary/Lunar

visual and imaging, my 150 was a crack shot. Now i will say they take a good while to cool, have narrow FOV comparing to other designs and, that 180 will take an eon to reach temperature unless you insulate it.

Thanks for the replies,  appreciated.

Yes,  forgot to mention the imaging camera i would be using,  apologies for that.

It is the ZWO ASI224MC

A C14 would be great,  but i have heard a lot of mixed review in regards to that scope,  it appears that it is a 50 50 ratio if you get a good one or a bad one.

But always open to advice.

The StellaLyra 8" f/12 M-LRS Classical Cassegrain as mentioned looks to be interesting option also.

Would love the 10” CC but ££££££ 🙀

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-10-f12-m-lrc-classical-cassegrain-carbon-truss-telescope-ota.html

Awaiting the GOTO upgrade to my Rowan AZ100 mount. Mine is the TS version of the CC.

9B75DA13-5DA2-4D95-AEB9-E9BFB48430F1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Looks like a nice setup and also interesting looking at the link for the carbon truss setup version.

I don't know if there is much of a differance between brands,  but i see the one you linked to was a StellaLyra version,  I can get GSO version of the same thing for around £770  less.

Now that seams like a lot,  but is the GSO brand a lot cheaper?

The site is not the best to navigate through,

But i just scrolled down and selected  Guan Sheng Optical

Then it was just not far from the top of the page if interested.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes

Edited by bluesilver

Yes, i first thought that also and them thought that GSO might of been a cheaper version of the StellaLyra.

But after emailing them about it,  it is definitely the correct price,  they are one of the better deal places we have here.