SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

S Shaped Chain Of Bright Stars Near Orion's Belt?

If you can get a really low power and wide field of view with a scope It's amazing what shapes and patterns you start to see that you didn't notice before. 

I like to browse around the double cluster in Perseus with my 102mm refractor at 20x magnification. There are all sorts of star chains, shapes and loose line of sight associations around that part of the sky.

I don't know if the term "rich field scope" is still used but there is certainly a place for instruments that can excel at this IMHO. Interesting article by Mel Bartels here on this topic:

https://www.bbastrodesigns.com/rft.html

Edited by John
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, John said:

If you can get a really low power and wide field of view with a scope It's amazing what shapes and patterns you start to see that you didn't notice before. 

I like to browse around the double cluster in Perseus with my 102mm refractor at 20x magnification. There are all sorts of star chains, shapes and loose line of sight associations around that part of the sky.

I don't know if the term "rich field scope" is still used but there is certainly a place for instruments that can excel at this IMHO. Interesting article by Mel Bartels here on this topic:

https://www.bbastrodesigns.com/rft.html

I just tend to use my el cheapo SW 28mm 2" LET for scanning around with the 200P.😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul M said:

It's a new one on me. I'm usually good at seeing patterns too! I think I've either been too wide or too narrow.

Well, Orion's belt will never look the same again! :)

I noticed it a number of times, but never thought much about it, until today.  It's quite a sight...

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I just tend to use my el cheapo SW 28mm 2" LET for scanning around with the 200P.😉

I love my 2" 28mm LET eyepiece, the design of the eyecup and overall feel is basic but brilliant in my opinion. Most comfortable one I own. Plus at 28mm it gives a large exit pupil for faint objects on dobs. I think it's a highly underrated eyepiece and if I drop it on concrete or it gets scratched somehow, it's not the end of the world. You can pick them up for peanuts.

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

It's a new one on me. I'm usually good at seeing patterns too! I think I've either been too wide or too narrow.

Well, Orion's belt will never look the same again! :)

That's the point I was making in my post earlier. Observing with some aperture at really low magnification and with a wide angle of view shows patterns etc that we ordinarily don't notice or can't see because we are looking through them, as it were. It's a bit like seeing aerial views of a place that we think we are familiar with :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

I love my 2" 28mm LET eyepiece, the design of the eyecup and overall feel is basic but brilliant in my opinion. Most comfortable one I own. Plus at 28mm it gives a large exit pupil for faint objects on dobs. I think it's a highly underrated eyepiece and if I drop it on concrete or it gets scratched somehow, it's not the end of the world. You can pick them up for peanuts.

I bought one 2nd hand from a SGL member last year. Well worth the £20. It's given me the most memorable views, including the Andromeda Galaxy! 

Edited by Ian McCallum

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I found this post when googling 's-shaped curve of stars from Orion to Hyades' having recently taken a pic of the region with my Pixel 4a. There's a really nice s-shaped chain of stars running from 17 Orionis (or even Bellatrix) through the bow to Aldebaran that I've never noticed before. Can I claim it :) ?

image.thumb.jpeg.410c7df31872e5d89cf11da11fdfde19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e2e9f9828063ab3017cb60462cd8c216.jpeg

• Like 4

I'd never noticed that S between the belt stars before either. Guess what I'll be looking out for the next time it's clear out (and not blowing a hurricane).

It's one of those things that once pointed out, you can't un-see - thankfully in this case!

• Like 1