stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

1 hour ago, davyludo said:

I've got a 30mm RACI on mine, which suits me perfectly...I do wonder how much better a 50mm would be though.

The only issue I have found with a RACI over the red dot finder, is that it's quite difficult to get your first star lined up. I've actually just fitted a Rigel Quickfind as well as the RACI. I use the Rigel to get my first star, then move to the RACI to do any hoping I need. The combination works really well. 

From what I've read the 25mm that comes with skywatcher scopes is ok, but the 10 isn't great. Might be worth getting something in the 7.5-10mm range (which would sit in the 150-200x magnification range).

I have both a 25mm and 9mm x-cel that work well in the mak. Also have a 15mm vixen SLV whish I really like - quite often Barlow that and use it instead of 9mm x-cel or if I'm looking for a bit more magnification.

Santa brought me a zoom eyepiece for Christmas. I'm a massive fan as it's both fun an convenient for my style of "grab a quick view while I can" observing.

I've not really used the other eyepieces much since I got the zoom. I've also found from using it, that a 12mm would be nice. The zoom is good to be able to quickly try different focal lengths on the same target.

4 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have no idea why you'd want to double the focal length from 1500mm to 3000mm and halve the speed from f/12 to f/24.  The 127 Mak tops out with an 8mm or so eyepiece with a 8mm/12=0.67mm exit pupil anyway.

Zooms perform very well at f/12, as do the BST Starguider line.  I'd probably suggest either an 8-24mm zoom plus a 25mm BST Starguider or 8mm, 12mm, and 25mm BST Starguiders.

The US version of the Skymax comes with a 2" 28mm LET which isn't too bad from what I've read.  I don't know what type of 1.25" 10mm and 25mm eyepieces the UK version comes with, so I have no idea of their quality.

Are you looking to buy the US or UK version?

Would you both recommend something like this then?  

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-eyepieces/sky-watcher_7-21mm_zoom_eyepiece__125-317mm_format.html

Just a standard skywatcher 7-21mm zoom eyepiece. Zoom eyepieces aren't something I've previously looked into although after a bit of reading online and from your replies they seem like a nice piece of kit to have. Good for trying out different magnifications. No need for a Barlow then either.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a 30mm RACI on mine, which suits me perfectly...I do wonder how much better a 50mm would be though. The only issue I have found with a RACI over the red dot finder, is that it's quite di

If it helps here is my log entry for a night last year.  As I said, a really decent scope which you can throw in the back of the car. I have other scopes for the big wide field view.    Mond

Just something for people who are potentially looking at getting a Skymax 127. Found a very detailed and honest review of the scope.    http://scopeviews.co.uk/SW127Mak.htm#:~:text=The Skyma

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Spier24 said:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-eyepieces/sky-watcher_7-21mm_zoom_eyepiece__125-317mm_format.html

Just a standard skywatcher 7-21mm zoom eyepiece. Zoom eyepieces aren't something I've previously looked into although after a bit of reading online and from your replies they seem like a nice piece of kit to have. Good for trying out different magnifications. No need for a Barlow then either.

Those are not that good to be honest with you.

This is somewhat better:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html

11 minutes ago, Spier24 said:

Generally, the 7.2-21.5mm zooms and the 8-24mm zooms generate the most favorable reviews.  Svbony has a new line of eyepieces direct from China generating favorable reviews on CN.  I'm not sure if the 7-21mm is the same as the SW version.  The 8-24mm is definitely different from the Celestron/Meade/SW/Agena version.  You'll have to hunt around to find who has any zooms in stock.

Edited by Louis D

It's the Baader Hyperion zoom I went for - purely because it has a larger FOV compared to the cheaper ones.

If I was looking for someone cheaper, then I'd probably look at the SVBONY 8-24mm one.

I have a BST 2x Barlow, and it does still get used in the mak - can push mag up past 200 if splitting tight doubles (focus gets a bit difficult though) and exit pupil is small. But fine for a quick view.

Edited by davyludo

For the record 30 mm plossl eyepiece will give you the widest field of view with the 127 Mak. I use an Ultima 30 mm which is very nice. Orthos also work well, albeit with a smaller field of view.

• Like 1
On 14/01/2021 at 18:22, Dixie said:

For the record 30 mm plossl eyepiece will give you the widest field of view with the 127 Mak. I use an Ultima 30 mm which is very nice. Orthos also work well, albeit with a smaller field of view.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html

So you'd recommend one of these? Should I go for the 10mm or 7mm for planetary observation. Will probably get one of these to replace the 10mm included with the scope as I've read it's not very good.

I'd take the 10, 17 and 32mm of that selection. Cover all the magnification will you need.  You will be surprised how often you reach for the 17mm - it's a real sweet spot for DSO's like the Dumbbellbell. At F12 these eyepieces should work fine. 

• Like 1
On 14/01/2021 at 12:22, Dixie said:

Unless you've got the 2" visual back and diagonal of the US version.  In that case, you can use widest field 2" eyepieces to good effect.  There is some vignetting, but it isn't very noticeable to the human eye.  Below is a comparison image I took through my 127 Mak to show the difference and resulting vignetting.  The APM UFF 24m would be equivalent in TFOV to the 30mm/32mm Plossl.

220226258_Max127MakTFOVComparison.thumb.jpg.fa1c73bddd25963f5af583532ef1f858.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dixie said:

I'd take the 10, 17 and 32mm of that selection. Cover all the magnification will you need.  You will be surprised how often you reach for the 17mm - it's a real sweet spot for DSO's like the Dumbbellbell. At F12 these eyepieces should work fine. 

I'll probably go for the 10 and 17mm. Then use the standard 25mm that comes with the scope. It's really the standard 10mm that I want to replace with a 10mm plossl as the standard one is apparently not very good.