SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Vancouver (Surrey), Canada

Mamm7215

Hi all, recently joined here after scouring the Reddit /telescopes and /astronomy feeds.  Looking at getting into the hobby and reading tons so I have some limited understanding of types of equipment and terms, though still a newbie. 

I think my place in all of this will settle out somewhere around wanting a good medium level scope but NOT wanting to go balls deep into astrophotography but WILL want to be able to take decent pics of planets and some DSOs. That said, I will attempt stacking shots et al at some point but I'm thinking of a budget of around $1000-$1500 CDN (Vancouver, B.C.). GOTO? Maybe, I've looked at the Skywatcher 8" Dobsonian GOTO but maybe the non-GOTO is a better option, then I would look at the 10" possibly.

Anyways, here's a couple I'm thinking of:

https://www.brandonoptics.com/Sky-Watcher-Flextube-SynScan-200P-8-GoTo-Collapsible-Dob-Telescope_p_245.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html

Just trying to nail down a good starting point. I'm a quick learner and have learned not to go cheap right off the bat. Getting a crappy telescope and not enjoying it or getting lame results is just a waste of money. Anyways, there you are...

I’ll add one more to my list, narrowing it down. May possibly look at the 6” version, too but this seems to be checking a lot of boxes. Or get the mount separate and look for the OTA in a skywatcher? In any case this should keep me busy learning the skies plus has a decent enough eq goto for basic AP. Also keeping my eyes open for used equivalents...

https://markarianfineoptics.ca/reflectors/-celestron-advanced-vx-series-go-to-equatorial-8-newtonian-reflector

Edited by Mamm7215
Formatting

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. A SW 200P is a great starter scope, personally I would opt for the Dobsonian as the EQ mounts are a little more complicated IMO.

Thanks, it’s pretty clear to me that if I enjoy this hobby I’m going to end up with a couple of setups.  I’m not wary of the AVX mount, I also see there’s diy and some commercial eq mounts for dobsonians.  Are these much different than a dobsonian with a goto? 

8 hours ago, Mamm7215 said:

Thanks, it’s pretty clear to me that if I enjoy this hobby I’m going to end up with a couple of setups.  I’m not wary of the AVX mount, I also see there’s diy and some commercial eq mounts for dobsonians.  Are these much different than a dobsonian with a goto? 

Yes I think there is quite a difference. With the Dob it is simply a matter to nudging and tilting but the EQ mounts are a bit more difficult to adjust IMO. I have tried all the mounts an now just have the Dob and a AZ mount with tripod for my refractor.

16 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. A SW 200P is a great starter scope, personally I would opt for the Dobsonian as the EQ mounts are a little more complicated IMO.

+1 for this. Welcome aboard!

1 hour ago, keeney said:

warm welcome to SGL

And welcome aboard to you too, Keeney!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...