Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help and advice on new telescope for beginner

Hi everyone - have been researching about telescopes for a beginner new to astronomy. Have done reading, consulted various forums and local astronomy societies and am now sort of stuck and would appreciate further help. i'm looking for a beginner telescope that will give a good visual experience and the prospect of attaching my canon 800D dslr for some moon, planet shots. I'd also like to be able to see some DSO as well with the same scope - nebulae etc. I want it to be fairly portable as it will be accompanying me on motorhome trips as well as in the car to different sites. I would prefer it to be a goto system either using handset or wifi as my wife will accompany me on occasions and i want something which is quick to set up and not have to spend long time finding objects. dual encoder would be a bonus as would ability to plug a handset in as well? 

Three telescopes seem to have come to the top of the recommendations given to me and from reading around a little (but I could be way off here on my own reading as I really am very new to all of this): 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-5-slt.html

i would go for an 8" dobsonian myself but it just aint going in the motorhome and that is a prime requirement - so I will save that for another time :)

I guess I have reached a point that lots of beginners getting their first scope reach - which is overload. I need help simplifying this down and moving towards a good choice that would see me through for a few years as a beginner. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the appropriateness of the three above - as to which might be my best option choice? 

Thanks in advance

steve 

Hi Steve. All the scopes would be fine for lunar viewing or imaging. For planets the 150 would probably be best for visual and would show some deep sky objects well. However, if you think you’d like to image deep sky objects you really need an equatorial mount. Alt-az mounts like those you’ve listed can only be used for very short exposures due to field roataion. The mount is key in imaging. Here you need to think about where your main interest lies. If your going for deep sky imaging then things like the William Optics Redcat of short focal length refractors can go on small mounts, but these will probably not have go to - eg Skywatcher’s Star Adventurer which is very portable and just goes on a camera tripod. As you go to more stable mounts, like the Skywatcher eq3, they have more features but they get a bit heavier and still work fine with small scopes. I’m afraid that imaging tends to need more than one scope to cover all bases. Small refractors are less than ideal for lunar inaging and no good at all for planetary.  Then there’s the camera. A DSLR will be fine for lunar or deep sky imaging. Planets will be very small due to the large sensor. As you can see, it’s a bit difficult to choose one setup to do it all. Give it serious thought. The scopes you list will be great for visual use. They’ll give great views of the Moon, major deep sky objects like M42 in Orion, M31 Andromeda etc. With a Barlow lens (2 or 3x magnification for any eyepiece) you’ll be able to see some detail on Jupiter and Saturn. Globular clusters and open clusters will be okay too as will larger/brighter galaxies. Normally I’d say get along to your local astronomical society, but clearly that’s not an option at the moment. Be aware that imaging can end up being both addictive and a very expensive hobby if you want to go for deep sky and lunar and planetary! A large mount, several scopes and cooled cameras not to mention guide scopes and cameras, filters etc. Not sure I’ve helped, but hope I’ve given you some ideas. Good luck in your search.

Edited by Geordie mc
Typo

I chose a Dobsonian (a 200P) as my preference is for "live" analogue viewing rather than going down the digital path.

It is important for me to to set up my telescope, acquire a target and then sit in wonder at a live view.

I don't see it as an either/or though; if I decide to explore Astrophotography then I can always add another telescope but the Dobsonian will remain my default device. Well apart from my eyes.