Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bad Quark Chromosphere on arrival?

Minhlead

So I jumped the gun on my Quark chromosphere despite the bad reviews about Daystar's QC.

On arrival the red side of the filter have some very noticable scratches and some part that looks like unhomogenity on the optics that I can see quite well when turn the filter to light source (see attached photo and picture).

Since the light output from the filter is at very large F ratio (F/30 in my case), i am afraid that the scratches will shows on photos. Anyone can confirm this? Also would the unhomogenity like pictured affect the contrast uniformity of the filter? I am the first time user of solar fikter and the weather here is not up for a test.

20210112_193729.jpg

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

This isn't new surely....

I bought it new from icstars store. Since I am from Vietnam and any back and forth shipping can be prohibitedly expensive I emailed daystar ask for a second QC. They agreed to do so. I am extremely disappointed that I got a scratched one on arrival. It is as if they intended to ship a defect one to me.

3 minutes ago, Minhlead said:

I bought it new from icstars store. Since I am from Vietnam and any back and forth shipping can be prohibitedly expensive I emailed daystar ask for a second QC. They agreed to do so. I am extremely disappointed that I got a scratched one on arrival. It is as if they intended to ship a defect one to me.

Was there a discount of some sorts when you purchased the item?

Sometimes retailers offer discount on customer return items or repaired items - but they must state that item was customer return and / or has been repaired under warranty.

Maybe you just did not notice disclaimer?

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

Was there a discount of some sorts when you purchased the item?

Sometimes retailers offer discount on customer return items or repaired items - but they must state that item was customer return and / or has been repaired under warranty.

Maybe you just did not notice disclaimer?

I paid the full 1195$ plus 20$ shipping. 

Just now, Minhlead said:

I paid the full 1195$ plus 20$ shipping. 

You could show these images to icstars staff in an e-mail, ask that they send you replacement item and arrange this one to be picked up by courier at no charge to yourself?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

You could show these images to icstars staff in an e-mail, ask that they send you replacement item and arrange this one to be picked up by courier at no charge to yourself?

I contacted Daystar but I highly doubt I can get out of this without any additional fee since mine is now at Vietnam and shipping it to US is super expensive.

6 minutes ago, Minhlead said:

I contacted Daystar but I highly doubt I can get out of this without any additional fee since mine is now at Vietnam and shipping it to US is super expensive.

In my view - you should not be put in a position to pay any shipment fees here - as this is neither your fault nor failure of item while it was in use and still in warranty.

It is their fault that they send you used item marketed as new in the first place. Strictly speaking that is illegal - there are consumer protection laws - you can't lie to customers and sell them used goods as new.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

In my view - you should not be put in a position to pay any shipment fees here - as this is neither your fault nor failure of item while it was in use and still in warranty.

It is their fault that they send you used item marketed as new in the first place. Strictly speaking that is illegal - there are consumer protection laws - you can't lie to customers and sell them used goods as new.

Thank you. Let see what Daystar have to say about this. I'll update the progress of this here.

16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Hence why i am so skeptical of buying a Quark, we are assuming the item was used but, it could very well be an example of negligent QC. 

And the worst part is that due to the afraid of getting a defective one like this, I emailed Daystar asking them do a second QC on my unit before shipping since sending it back and forth between the States and VIetnam will be extremely expensive. Jen at Daystar replied and told me specifically that's she'll see to it that my order get the extra care. And she guaranteed me that she did a second "sun testing" on mine before shipping. If this was the unit that supposedly received "extra care" then how would the normal ones treated? I was extremely dissapointed with Daystar. I got a lot of warning on Daystar's abysmal QC but seeing that Jen and Tiffany being so interactive with customers I think I could get lucky. Apparently I was not. Makes it very hard to recommend a Daystar filter to anyone who will ask me.

10 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Daystar should email you a prepaid label to courier it back to them

Dave

Hopefully things will come to a fruitful end. Thank you guys for your support. 

Edited by Minhlead

2 minutes ago, Minhlead said:

And the worst part is that due to the afraid of getting a defective one like this, I emailed Daystar asking them do a second QC on my unit before shipping since sending it back and forth between the States and VIetnam will be extremely expensive. Jen at Daystar replied and told me specifically that's she'll see to it that my order get the extra care. And she guaranteed me that she did a second "sun testing" on mine before shipping. If this was the unit that supposedly received "extra care" then how would the normal ones treated? I was extremely dissapointed with Daystar. I got a lot of warning on Daystar's abysmal QC but seeing that Jen and Tiffany being so interactive with customers I think I could get lucky. Apparently I was not. Makes it very hard to recommend a Daystar filter to anyone who will ask me.

Wouldn't put too much faith in Daystar QC, they sent me a replacement supposedly tested on the Sun but the LED never turned from red to green so couldn't possibly have been tested.

Dave

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Wouldn't put too much faith in Daystar QC, they sent me a replacement supposedly tested on the Sun but the LED never turned from red to green so couldn't possibly have been tested.

Dave

:( I guess the writing was on the wall, just that I was too naive. Hope my experience here could be of some guide to any other looking to buy a Quark. How was your resolved?

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yikes! i really hope everything comes to a happy end on this my friend.

Thanks. I do hope so.

Just now, Minhlead said:

I guess the writing was on the wall, just that I was too naive. Hope my experience here could be of some guide to any other looking to buy a Quark. How was your resolved?

They sent me another replacement that sort of worked but gradually failed to tune, it's sitting here waiting to go back, in the meantime I purchased a second hand one that performs really well.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

They sent me another replacement that sort of worked but gradually failed to tune, it's sitting here waiting to go back, in the meantime I purchased a second hand one that performs really well.

Dave

It seem god roll the dice every time a Quark ships. I am just unlucky I guess. But the rate if getting a bad one seems alarmingly

high.

1 minute ago, Minhlead said:

It seem god roll the dice every time a Quark ships. I am just unlucky I guess. But the rate if getting a bad one seems alarmingly

high.

I'll be on my sixth replacement when I send this one back, had an original one that worked fine but gradually failed to tune, ever since they've been flying back and forth regularly across the Atlantic.

Dave

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

I'll be on my sixth replacement when I send this one back, had an original one that worked fine but gradually failed to tune, ever since they've been flying back and forth regularly across the Atlantic.

Dave

How did you pay for the shipping fee?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Unfortunately, I have heard of so many problems with Daystar QC that I have completely avoided buying one and went the Lunt LS60 route instead.

I really hope that you get a resolution of this problem with Daystar.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Ade 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Unfortunately, I have heard of so many problems with Daystar QC that I have completely avoided buying one and went the Lunt LS60 route instead.

I really hope that you get a resolution of this problem with Daystar.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Ade 

Thank you for your kind words. I do hope so. I am still kicking myself for not going for the Lunt