Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead HaRgb

Allinthehead

6 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Stunning image, through my beginner's eyes it's simply perfect! :)  Great work!

I'm wondering, what is this little thing near the right edge of the frame? Looks like a very tiny cigar galaxy!

image.png.b51cda043b3673c3e79b0d31a5f09948.png

It is a bonus galaxy, PGC147737, about mag 18.

Awesome Horsehead by the way Richard. The framing with the Horse Head dead centre works really well. I like the star spikes and the 3D effect of the dust in the lower half of the frame. The red/blue wispy nebula (IC432) to the left (and slightly up) of the Flame Nebula has come out really well (reminiscent of Running Man). I'm guessing the massive amount of data from 8hrs at f/3.3 has allowed some deconvolution on the brighter details like the Flame Nebula and the blue reflection nebulae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is one of if not thee best I have seen of the Horsehead and Flame. Spectacular in every sense. I love your processing skills and your attention to detail from image capture right through to the final stage of post processing -something to aspire to.

Edited by smr
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 10:40, Space Oddities said:

Stunning image, through my beginner's eyes it's simply perfect! :)  Great work!

I'm wondering, what is this little thing near the right edge of the frame? Looks like a very tiny cigar galaxy!

image.png.b51cda043b3673c3e79b0d31a5f09948.png

Sorry with the amount of replies so quickly I missed your question and I see it's been answered above.

Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry I missed some. I was preoccupied trying to get to the bottom of Topaz.

@Xiga I tried using it on B150 again today and it had a different result, when I did it first it seemed to actually alter the data but today it just enhanced it. Maybe I did something different as it was late and I was struggling to stay awake. Anyway I've not come to any conclusion on this software and I may still use it, always declaring it of course. 

• Like 1

It's a stunning image. I cannot say more than that about it!

Now I just need to find £7k+ to buy the mono version of the camera and the required 2" filter to stick on the Tak that's sitting in the bedroom that's waiting for the Covid to be under control...

I have no idea which will happen first (unless I put off the double glazing for another year) 🤣🤣

On 11/01/2021 at 01:10, AstroRuz said:

This is absolutely amazing. Breathtaking. Any information on sky quality, filters and editing programs please? Absolutely strive for something like this 

Thanks, I don't have a sky quality meter but according to clearoutside I'm in a bortle 4 zone. I used an Astrodon 5nm for the Ha and clear filter for the rgb (purely for spacing reasons). I stacked everything in Astro Pixel Processor and processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop. Many different plugins were used from starnet to remove the stars to gradient exterminator, really too many to name. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I can only echo the previous posts in that must be the best, or at least up there with the v=best images of this I have seen.

Simply, Stunning and deserves to appear in a magazine anytime soon 🙂 

Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't know how I missed this. Incredible image 👍

Thanks Michael👍

4 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

It's a stunning image. I cannot say more than that about it!

Now I just need to find £7k+ to buy the mono version of the camera and the required 2" filter to stick on the Tak that's sitting in the bedroom that's waiting for the Covid to be under control...

I have no idea which will happen first (unless I put off the double glazing for another year) 🤣🤣

Thanks, I think the mono version will be on another level but 7k? What filters are you thinking? Who needs double glazing, you can just cuddle up to the Tak for warmth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An absolutely outstanding image. 
How did you manage to remove the Earth’s atmosphere from above your imaging location  because that’s what the quality of this image is telling me you must have done.

The area below the HH and the Flame Nebula are just amazing.👍

Just now, smr said:

Will you be buying the mono version Richard? Is there actually any reason to with the 2600 and Tak combo you have, because I can't see any!

At the moment I don't see the need either. I don't have much interest in shooting in narrowband other than ha and I can use the Asi2600 with my duoband filter for that and it's more than adequate for combining with broadband data. The only reasons I'll go down that route is for adding luminance to the Osc and more efficient and higher resolution gathering of ha data, how much of an improvement will I get over what I have now is hard to quantify especially given the cost. 

This was taken with an Stc duo filter 4 hrs 300 second subs ha extracted. It's perfect for adding to broadband data.

flamin_testha-4-St.thumb.jpg.eef7a0c602acf10f47d5b34e8c4b9f12.jpg

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

An absolutely outstanding image. 
How did you manage to remove the Earth’s atmosphere from above your imaging location  because that’s what the quality of this image is telling me you must have done.

The area below the HH and the Flame Nebula are just amazing.👍

Thanks, have you read through the thread? I found an atmosphere removal button🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks, I think the mono version will be on another level but 7k? What filters are you thinking? Who needs double glazing, you can just cuddle up to the Tak for warmth.

Whoops! I got the camera mixed up. I was thinking of an ASI6200, and a set of 2" Chroma filters...

On the other hand, I already have a set of 36mm Chroma nb filters.... hmmm ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, raf2020 said:

Your photo is absolutely brilliant. Hats off. Thank you for sharing also with Ha tutorial. Do you think adding it to unmodified DSLR used in Bortle 7 make any sense?

Cheers,

Raf

Thanks Raf, yes I think it would be worth trying ha with a dslr, I know a few on this site that have had good results. It's not the most efficient way to do it however. You could look at getting your dslr modified to make it more responsive in the red channel or keep an eye on the for sale section as modified cameras come up often.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2021 at 16:45, Allinthehead said:

Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry I missed some. I was preoccupied trying to get to the bottom of Topaz.

@Xiga I tried using it on B150 again today and it had a different result, when I did it first it seemed to actually alter the data but today it just enhanced it. Maybe I did something different as it was late and I was struggling to stay awake. Anyway I've not come to any conclusion on this software and I may still use it, always declaring it of course. 

Thanks Richard.

The little I have used of it so far myself, I have only really used the Denoise slider, and even then I have tended to use a setting of between 1-15 (not sure what that is in % terms) and even then it's usually been closer to 1-5. I have also noticed that even if you have the sharpening slider set to zero, it still applies some sharpening! For example, if you run it on an image with stars, you will see that even with sharpening at 0 it still makes a mess of most of the stars. Perhaps it's not actually sharpening though, and just the effects of how a noise-reduced background sky looks against a star. Either way, they don't look good. So I have taken to fixing them afterwards with a good star mask. If used correctly i do think the tool has it's place in a workflow, but i can definitely see how liberal useage of the sharpening slider might upset a few people. Personally though, it doesn't bother me at all. To me, it mostly looks like it is enhancing details rather than adding them, but of course it's all down to how it is used, and i do agree it is a good idea to mention that it has been used in an image.

ps - I did a little searching and found the two images below on Astrobin. I think they were by the same imager that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. He got an APOD for the first one, and one person in particular really went after him in the comments. The comments in the 2nd one were thankfully more respectful, and generated a decent debate at least. Food for thought.

https://www.astrobin.com/6ooyr1/B/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin.com/6oovs5/H/

• Thanks 1

Wow! This is mesmerising. Absolutely the best image of this area I have seen. I now feel completely inferior having just posted my inadequate version before seeing this 😂🙈

Congratulations you have completed astrophotography!

• Thanks 1