Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead Mosaic H-alpha

tooth_dr

This is my 4 panel mosaic of the HH region, in H-alpha, taken over the past couple of weeks.

A total of 66000 seconds of integration.  I removed the stars in Starnet+ and there are some artefacts remaining.  Not sure where to go from here - possibly some RGB data or Oiii/Sii.  I can really only get about 4 hours on this per night because of the dual rig.  Pre and post meridian flip, one telescopes view is blocked by the bottom of the dome slit.  With four panels, it's a long slog only getting one hour per panel per night.

Thanks for looking

Adam.

HH-Ha-starless-.thumb.jpg.fa6f183ed48f9b1400d92ec0849b2808.jpg

HH-Ha-star-.thumb.jpg.da13eb0d37d707a93f8196233cf30305.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 43

Very nice Adam, I'd suggest a fair bit of RGB and L on the Horsehead, Flame and the various reflection nebula in the region NGC2023, IC432 etc ...   hopefully just one frame with the Tak  ..  for the rest there's always next year by which time the pier extension will be ready ! 

Dave

ps your Epsilon180/2600 will frame that nicely

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Stunning images.
I think this looks great in just Ha.
Personally I prefer some stars in there so would go for the lower image but both are great images 🙂 

Steve

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Stunning shot, normally I don't care for starless, but this is really nice in B&W.

Alan

7 minutes ago, Graham Darke said:

Second image for me too. Got to have stars in the shot. Lovely! 

Thanks Steve, Alan and Graham.  Thanks for taking time to have a look and comment.

6 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Adam, I'd suggest a fair bit of RGB and L on the Horsehead, Flame and the various reflection nebula in the region NGC2023, IC432 etc ...   hopefully just one frame with the Tak  ..  for the rest there's always next year by which time the pier extension will be ready ! 

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I could try an image with the D800 and the reduced SS94 at 413mm F4.4.  This would probably cover most the FOV, maintain the image scale (actually improve on it slightly) and get me RGB data.  I hadnt really considered a pier extension, I may run into issues with clearance close to the zenith.  It's a case of not being able to have ones cake and eat it too.

image.png.c7cb51bda34e4873a12d7276ba183d24.png

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely image, Adam and definitely an object that full justice can be done to in just mono. Personally, the image with the stars is my favourite - I only use star 'removal' as an occasional part of my image processing workflow but both images look stunning 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

Super image - plain Ha does look great. I struggle with bigger stars in Starnet, and in the past have had to resort to hand touch up.

Having said plain Ha looks great, do you plan to add SII OIII?

Thanks!  I am not sure how much I like the NB images of this region, I do prefer the RGB.

31 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Lovely image. I prefer the one with stars, they add context for me.

What scopes are you using here please?

Ian

Thanks Ian.  I was using a Tak Epsilon 180ed with a QHY9-M and a SharpStar 94 EPDH with an Atik 383L+.

I did take a plain LRGB image last year of this region, I should maybe reprocess and add in this Ha.

HH-LRGB-1+.jpg

• Like 1

This image actually made me gasp a bit, it is beautiful, it has a depth that i haven't seen in a 2D image, I would not do anything to this image except frame it and hang it if it were my own.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1