Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comma corrector focus issues

Morning Folks, 

Well after a lovely frosty but CLEAR!!!! Night under the stars I thought to pick your collective brain. 

My set up consists of Skywatcher 130pds, Heq5 pro goto mount and Canon 60D DSLR. 

Last night I attempted some astrophotography however, using the Baader Planitarium Comma Corrector proved to be a problem. I couldn't get enough inward travel to bring the camera to focus. The comma corrector does break down into two sections but without the second section it will not screw into my T ring adapter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've attached a few photos to help. 

Thanks for your help 

Simon 

IMG_20210110_085952.jpg

IMG_20210110_090650.jpg

IMG_20210110_090738.jpg

The coma corrector needs a specific distance between it and the camera's sensor. This means you can't add the vari-lock spacer and in your case, appears to mean you can't focus the camera (and even if you could, the coma corrector would not do what it's meant to!).

There's a good explanation of what's needed at https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/483/product/3004/mpcc_mark_iii_instruction_manual.pdf 

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

The t_adapter threads need to match the same as coma corrector , you need to take off that mid section 

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yep, I messaged FLO to see which adapter is needed. I have sooo many T daters any typically none of these fit!! 

1 hour ago, rnobleeddy said:

The coma corrector needs a specific distance between it and the camera's sensor. This means you can't add the vari-lock spacer and in your case, appears to mean you can't focus the camera (and even if you could, the coma corrector would not do what it's meant to!).

There's a good explanation of what's needed at https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/483/product/3004/mpcc_mark_iii_instruction_manual.pdf 

Thanks for your reply. 

That's a really helpful document. Looks like I will need an additional adapter.