Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is Logitech F710 still the best gamepad to use with Ascom Eqmod

fifeskies

I am planning on adding a gamepad to my setup to have local control of RA and DEC on my NEQ6 pro from the pier when doing some visual observing.

Not many recent mentions coming up in search so thought I would just ask what people are using these days.

Don't want to do anything that will make my usual AP system encounter any hiccups, (I use APT, Stellarium and Ascom Eqmod with PHD2 for AP usually).

I have a USB hub on the pier so could use either a cabled or wireless gamepad, maybe cabled is more reliable (eg Logitech F310) than the wireless Logitech F710.

Any comments or recommendations gratefully received, thanks.

I used a EasySMX wireless with my setup, before getting the EQDIR cable, and it worked very well.

I had the remote plugged into the laptop because it was beside the mount at the time. It should work fine plugged into the USB hub though.

The only issue I had was forgetting to charge the handset! 🥴

• Like 1

If I'm likely to use it then I just stick it on charge. When I forgot to charge it, it was sat for a couple of weeks, so I don't really know how long a charge will last.

The sleep function isn't really an issue with the EasySMX as you just press the central button and it wakes up immediately and works. When it goes to sleep or disconnects from the USB dongle there's a red LED on the dongle which starts to flash, so it's easy to see. When connected the LED is solid red. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
Added detail.