Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion and winter Milky Way over some hills near the Bay Area

Hi everyone, new on this forum! I'm doing a deep sky landscape series to try to give people a sense of how large deep sky objects are in the sky. I'll post back with some longer focal length examples, but to start off here's an extremely wide field of Orion and the Winter Milky Way rising over some peaks near the Bay Area in California, USA.

This image was taken at 21mm focal length on a DSLR. Imaged partly in RGB and partly in HOO and combined for HaORGB.

Also feel free to follow me on Instagram for more astrophotography: https://instagram.com/dheeranet/

20201215-orion-sb.jpg

Edited by dheera
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine said:

A breathtaking image! wow is an understatement, welcome to SGL, i cant wait to see more images! 

Those peaks, let me guess, they're known as the twin peaks? 

There is a place called Twin Peaks in San Francisco which is smack in the middle of the city -- this isn't that place. This is a random place off a relatively unknown road that most people wouldn't know and I'm not sure if these peaks even have names! I was imaging there for 3 hours and didn't see a single car pass by.

Edited by dheera
  • Like 1

Unearthly view indeed!
Great job! I wish we could see it naked eye like that :)

I'm in the SFBA too (Albany). At first I thought that's the Mt. Diablo from the N-E side. But then figured these are much smaller peaks looking that bold due to the HDR effect. Where is it really? Just curious.

14 hours ago, AlexK said:

Unearthly view indeed!
Great job! I wish we could see it naked eye like that :)

I'm in the SFBA too (Albany). At first I thought that's the Mt. Diablo from the N-E side. But then figured these are much smaller peaks looking that bold due to the HDR effect. Where is it really? Just curious.

Yep it's not near Diablo at all. It's a really lonely narrow road, and I'd hate to geotag it publicly since the people who live off those ranches probably don't want loads of cars showing up there. DM me if you want though!

• 2 weeks later...