SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Southern Report

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! Observations report from 6/1/21 located -31 degrees south using 10 inch dobsonian.

My first target was the mighty constellation of Orion. Searched unsuccessfully for M 78 nebula. I did however locate the gorgeous cluster NGC 2169. This is the cluster that looks like "37". First time observing it, it really does look like a 37 and colourful as well! Next up I moved below Orion to find M 35. Located this nice cluster and viewed it for the first time in my 10 inch. Nice star patterns in this cluster.

Next up was my "nemisis" M1 in Taurus! This was my third night in a row trying to find it with out any luck. However I did see a tiny, mist patch with what looked like three close stars at the limit of my vision. This could possibly be it, but I need to re observe that region to confirm it.

Finally I observed the area of sky nearly overhead from here in the direction of Vela. I checked out IC 2391 ( Omicron Velorum). A beautiful cluster with a passing resemblance to M 45. Deep blue stars. I just got a new 5mm eyepiece so I just had to try it out on 47 Tucanae globular NGC 104. Wow stunning site, this is the 2nd brightest globular in the sky and is an amazing sight through the 10 inch dob, resolved all the way to the core with more stars than I could possibly count! Not far away from 47 Tuc is another nice globular cluster in Tucana NGC 362. Lovely view of it at 150x. I finally returned to Vela to observe the open cluster  NGC 2547. Just beautiful! Thanks for reading and clear skies to all 😊

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

My first target was the mighty constellation of Orion. Searched unsuccessfully for M 78 nebula. I did however locate the gorgeous cluster NGC 2169. This is the cluster that looks like "37". First time observing it, it really does look like a 37 and colourful as well! Next up I moved below Orion to find M 35. Located this nice cluster and viewed it for the first time in my 10 inch. Nice star patterns in this cluster.

Next up was my "nemisis" M1 in Taurus! This was my third night in a row trying to find it with out any luck. However I did see a tiny, mist patch with what looked like three close stars at the limit of my vision. This could possibly be it, but I need to re observe that region to confirm it.

Your comments ring true for me. M42/M43 last night was the best I have seen it and the live monochrome view was very atmospheric. None of the colour images I have seen seem to capture the ghostly wisp that rises up from the centre, loops anti-clockwise and then with a flourish disappears. I was captivated.  I will now identify and learn the names of the component parts.

Similarly for some silly reason (start at 1?) I have also set the challenge to "get" M1 and is a right awkward devil for me too. I suppose it helps hone my my star hopping skills (I still find the up/down/left/right bit a challenge) but it would help if the patterns I see in my eyepiece actually matched what the maps say should be there. More time practicing on Stellarium I guess. I just worry that I am getting too intimate with Tianguan.

This is my plan...

M1 route.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spile said:

Your comments ring true for me. M42/M43 last night was the best I have seen it and the live monochrome view was very atmospheric. None of the colour images I have seen seem to capture the ghostly wisp that rises up from the centre, loops anti-clockwise and then with a flourish disappears. I was captivated.  I will now identify and learn the names of the component parts.

Similarly for some silly reason (start at 1?) I have also set the challenge to "get" M1 and is a right awkward devil for me too. I suppose it helps hone my my star hopping skills (I still find the up/down/left/right bit a challenge) but it would help if the patterns I see in my eyepiece actually matched what the maps say should be there. More time practicing on Stellarium I guess. I just worry that I am getting too intimate with Tianguan.

This is my plan...

Hi,

Have you tried another star map app? Below are some screen grabs from SkySafari Plus. The outer blue circle is the 5.6deg FoV for a finder and the inner blue ring is the FoV for a 25mm Plossl (on a 8" dob)

It gives you a good idea of the scale of things through each, and I find SkySafari matches what I see in the finder/scope.

image.png.692df032764d9a1564af9c255a3214f1.png

and zoomed in to the 25mm Plossl view:

image.png.0162c40de2a80f306fbf0edf7575c072.png

Obviously you will need to rotate 180deg for a newt, and not if you have a RACI finder

• Like 1

Spile, I know what you mean about getting too intimate with Tianguan😁, I feel like it's my 2nd wife now😵. I like your plan I will adopt it too. Thanks Pixies I use Sky Safari plus too and I'm definitely in the correct location but still nothing 😱. The Crab is definitely a tough one. Taurus is still a bit low in my sky, I might wait until it gains more altitude before I try again. Good luck 🤞 to us Spile!!

• Like 1

M1 is a bit of a tricky one sometimes, it's not especially bright and really likes dark transparent skies like many DSOs. It will go up to 54 degrees above the horizon here at 57N around 10:30 tonight according to Stellarium. At my home under 20.3 sqm-l with the 20" it will show up as a nebulous cloud directly observable with hints of detail. In the 12" dob from home it is just a faint patch unless transparency is excellent. Try and get your eyes fully dark adapted and use an eyepiece in the 24-28mm range if you can to get a good-sized exit pupil around 5-6mm, that might help. Otherwise something around 19-21mm might be another option with a bit more mag. I can't remember which filter I preferred, UHC or OIII or none! If you have these it's worth a try. 

I'd look at M42/43 after hunting M1 again, M42 is so bright it can reduce dark adaptation! I usually start off with M42, it's hard to not want a quick look at the start ;) 

I'm setting up the big dob at home tonight, my goal is to try and see the horsehead from home but that's a tough one. I've had some really good SQM-L readings lately with great transparency though.

Have fun!

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 3

I had a nice view of M1 a couple of nights back with my 12 inch dob. I was using a 17mm 92 degree eyepiece (94x) and an Astronomik UHC filter. Some hints of that filamentary structure were starting to show against the more nebulous areas and that "S" slightly on it's side shape was subtly indicated. This is not my sketch but shows the structure:

Sketches of Messier Objects - Deep Sky Watch

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Great information guys! Tonight will be overcast here in Perth like the previous two nights😥 Sunday night is looking good so I will give searching for M1 a go then. I agree it is hard not to look at M42 immediately as it's just such a beautiful object! Wishing you all clear skies 👍

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 00:53, Epick Crom said:

Finally I observed the area of sky nearly overhead from here in the direction of Vela

I got to wondering what altitude M1 culminates at for your location so transported myself to Perth via Stellarium. I see M1 gets to about 12/13 degrees alt. I certainly never looked for it at that altitude. From it's high-in-the-sky position from here I find it quite easy in any scope. Not spectacular but identifiable. I just used to star hop from zeta tauri and it's there (before I bought into goto!). I'm sure you'll absolutely bag it eventually. 

So looking at your sky in Stellarium I'm reminded how alien it is. I've never been further south than about latitude 20 deg N. Never lost sight of the sky I know but even there I have to stop and think. :)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I got to wondering what altitude M1 culminates at for your location so transported myself to Perth via Stellarium. I see M1 gets to about 12/13 degrees alt. I certainly never looked for it at that altitude. From it's high-in-the-sky position from here I find it quite easy in any scope. Not spectacular but identifiable. I just used to star hop from zeta tauri and it's there (before I bought into goto!). I'm sure you'll absolutely bag it eventually. 

So looking at your sky in Stellarium I'm reminded how alien it is. I've never been further south than about latitude 20 deg N. Never lost sight of the sky I know but even there I have to stop and think. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Paul! Yes M1 is still a bit low over here, I think I will just have to patiently wait for it to culminate. The sky from the southern hemisphere must seem alien to you, I'm sure I will get lost/ confused if I ever get a chance to see the sky from the northern hemisphere! I've only ever seen the southern hemisphere view so it's very familiar to me. Hopefully this Covid will subside so I can finally venture north and see Draco, Ursa Major etc.. Clear skies!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

Thanks for the encouragement Paul! Yes M1 is still a bit low over here, I think I will just have to patiently wait for it to culminate. The sky from the southern hemisphere must seem alien to you, I'm sure I will get lost/ confused if I ever get a chance to see the sky from the northern hemisphere! I've only ever seen the southern hemisphere view so it's very familiar to me. Hopefully this Covid will subside so I can finally venture north and see Draco, Ursa Major etc.. Clear skies!

The moon is upside-down for you. That's weird! I have some relatives in Oz and I'm over there every few years. Have never stargazed there, apart from admiring the Milky Way in dark skies and I'm very jealous of your views of the Magellanic Clouds.

Had a shot at M1 this evening. Seeing was good but transparency was very poor (it's very cold tonight). I managed to get a view of it in my 8" dob, but very faint. A UHC filter helped very slightly. Around 18mm was best (3mm exit pupil), but the sky was quite bright.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pixies said:

The moon is upside-down for you. That's weird! I have some relatives in Oz and I'm over there every few years. Have never stargazed there, apart from admiring the Milky Way in dark skies and I'm very jealous of your views of the Magellanic Clouds.

Had a shot at M1 this evening. Seeing was good but transparency was very poor (it's very cold tonight). I managed to get a view of it in my 8" dob, but very faint. A UHC filter helped very slightly. Around 18mm was best (3mm exit pupil), but the sky was quite bright.

How about I trade you the Magellanic Clouds for the Crab Nebula😊  Glad you got to see M1 👍