Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Night sky mental health boost for astronomy fan

FLO

A very uplifting story. Astronomy has been a sanctuary for me over the years and has undoubtedly helped my mental health in times of stress. I try to encourage others to explore the night sky so they can benefit too. 👍

• Like 4

Thank you 🙂  - the story is about me and my continuing journey. I also was interviewed on BBC Radio Somerset this morning. I've found since the article alot of people have had similar experiences. I share my pictures on local FB groups and the response is always very positive - people love seeing pictures of the night sky and deep sky - they find it quite therapeutic. I try and inspire people to go outside, lookup and enjoy the free night sky.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Lovely stuff, even short sessions under the sky between clouds grounds me like nothing else.

Well, that and  cycling

How the changing sky ties me into the seasons makes me feel connected with everything. Rather then just being in my own head bubble.

Edited by Muc
  • Like 2

Getting seriously intersted in Astronomy has changed my attitude towards the winter months. There was a time when i really disliked the winter, even though i have always had an interest in Astronomy. I now look forward to the long nights, with the Lockdowns especially its so important to have as many "distractions" as possible.

I don't suffer from SAD (Seasonal affective disorder), but i have always wonder whether you less likely to be effected by it if you are an astronomer.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2021 at 09:54, Mike Read said:

Thank you 🙂  - the story is about me and my continuing journey. I also was interviewed on BBC Radio Somerset this morning. I've found since the article alot of people have had similar experiences. I share my pictures on local FB groups and the response is always very positive - people love seeing pictures of the night sky and deep sky - they find it quite therapeutic. I try and inspire people to go outside, lookup and enjoy the free night sky.

Great positive story Mike, uplifting to read it the other day 🙂

My life is not that stressful, I confess. However, when I have found my targets for the night I will tilt back in the lawn chair and just look up for long time.

I consider myself a rational-empiricist. And I write for a living. But I have no words for the experience. It just feels good.

MEM

• Like 1

Like a lot of people, my mental health has suffered a great deal this past year, but my Astronomy observing/imaging has helped me a lot and clears my mind of negative thoughts :)

Mark

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Like 1

Hobbies or interests have to be essential in these challenging times (hopefully only temporary - my left arm is ready & waiting). I took up astronomy for serious when we had our first daughter. After an anxious hour at 2:00 am dealing with teething issues, rashes, food intolerance etc etc I found an hour outside with a telescope completely took my mind off things and allowed me to get back to sleep again easily. It helped hugely after a stressful day at work as well, even if it cut down sleep a bit too much occasionally.

Like Pete, it has helped me cope with the winter months, even if decent nights always seem a rarity - something always to look forward to.

Chris

• Like 1

As well as an antidote to stress caused by the pandemic, this is a fantastic opportunity for young and old alike to go outside, look up and learn valuable life skills .

Surely slightly more preferable to see shortages of Dobsonians than toilet rolls and pasta?

• Haha 3

On 08/01/2021 at 02:51, theropod said:

Part of why I am so wound up about meteors is the simple joy of just looking up at the night sky. It’s snowing out so even a quick fix is off the menu. Ah, winter...

I think every Theropod would be well advised to take a particular interest in rocks from space ...   😀   🦖

• Haha 3

That's a really great story Mike.

I think astronomy is in keeping with a lot of hobbies in that they are with you for life. I was observing M42 the other night thinking to myself that I've been looking at you for nearly 50 years with optical aids of various shapes and sizes. Yet here I am still enjoying the experience. And as it got late I was seeing the familiar shape of Leo and thinking about the coming galaxy season. I never think of this cycle of astronomy as repetition though, that's just it. Even after all this time. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Those who have never suffered from mental illnesses have no idea what it feels like, and what it can lead to.
When I was suffering from depression, I lost my job; I lost my friends, and my life seemed to ruin.
I was afraid to go outside, and every day was torment.
Thankfully, I stumbled upon a site and found out about telepsychiatry appointments.
Then I booked an online appointment, and my physiatrist said that I will need a therapy course.
After passing it, the situation got better, and now, I would say that the day I stumbled on that site, changed my life.

Edited by Revort
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Revort said:

Those who have never suffered from mental illnesses have no idea what it feels like, and what it can lead to.
When I was suffering from depression, I lost my job; I lost my friends, and my life seemed to ruin.
I was afraid to go outside, and every day was torment.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, I'm not afraid to say so. Yesterday was the worst in a long time. I went out to the dome today and doing some Solar imaging and observing was so refreshing. Being under our nearest star with a mug of coffee is satisfying and beautiful. 

IMG_20210317_104233.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I've not used a telescope in nearly a year, due to poor mental health.  I lost a beloved pet on 5th February 2023, which caused me great anguish.  For a long time, I couldn't get the loss out of my mind and still miss my beloved pet every day.  I eventually tried to keep busy and concentrate on other hobbies.  I've just set my astrophotography rig, for the first time in nearly 11 months.  Obviously, I've missed out on nearly a year of things and have became very rusty - but hopefully, I'll get back into it again...

PS:  I've suffered from poor mental health for many years, but this was one of the worst bouts of it.

Edited by Ian McCallum
grammar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

I've not used a telescope in nearly a year, due to poor mental health.  I lost a beloved pet on 5th February 2023, which caused me great anguish.  For a long time, I couldn't get the loss out of my mind and still miss my beloved pet every day.  I eventually tried to keep busy and concentrate on other hobbies.  I've just setting my astrophotography rig, for the first time in nearly 11 months.  Obviously, I've missed out on nearly a year of things and have became very rusty - but hopefully, I'll get back into it again...

PS:  I've suffered from poor mental health for many years, but this was one of the worst bouts of it.

Loosing a well beloved pet is really devastating, a lot of people don't understand how we can feel so lost. It's hard because it's just as real as if we've lost a family member, (which of course it is). Hopefully the more you get back into this hobby the more enjoyment of life you'll feel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3