Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Ethos 13mm

hawaiiruss

I am just about to purchase the new Skywatcher Explorer 190MN with EQ6 mount and am tempted to combine this with the Televue Ethos 13mm Eyepiece. What I would like to know, is the Ethos eyepiece suited to the Skywatcher Explorer 190MN for viewing through?

Also, any other eyepieces that are recommended?

Cheers

The Ethos is in a class of it's own - it you have the budget and you are wanting the widest possible field of view it's the only game in town.

I've not used one (I can only afford a lowly Nagler 13mm :( ) but I believe that they work well in all scopes.

There are plenty of other decent 13mm eyepieces around though if you decide that you would like your money to stretch a bit further - but, if you can afford it, the Ethos is the current "king of the hill".

John

I use one in a C6-S, 80mm refractor and 8" reflector. Simply superb, I don't know how they can produce an eyepiece with such a wide, well corrected and transparent view. I sold several eyepieces to buy one of these. I was lucky as telescope house were doing a 10% off everything weekend so I got mine for £342.

By the way this eyepiece will no doubt replace several. It has a field stop (field of view) greater than that of a 25mm plossl, 19mm panoptic and 16mm nagler. Also, obviously, it has the same magnification as that of a 13mm nagler. So, this means less time swapping eyepieces and more time observing. It barlows superbly, I use a TV 2x barlow which due to the nature of the optical train gives a factor of 2.17x, thus I have essentially a 5.9mm ethos. The extra glass doesn't seem to cause any dimming and there is certainly no hint of vignetting.

I mentioned the transparency earlier, it has been said that the ethos seems to give virtually more aperture. I know what they mean, coupled with my William Optics anniversary 80mm refractor I have seen some wonderful things that I didn't believe possible. This is a superb combination. If you can stump the cash go for it, if money is an issue there are many great quality eyepieces out there.

I must admit, I didn't know what an explorer 190mn was until i visited flo. I should imagine the ethos will give superb views through a scope that fast. You will get a 1.27 degree field at 77x mag with a 2.45mm exit pupil, just above the optimum 2mm.

Buyer beware though, as ben noted, there's more of these.

Remember that a lot of their Televue stock was probably bought months ago when the exchange rate was a lot better, so as new stock arrives prices are certain to rise.

Take a look at the new Celestron scope prices if you want a real shock. A CPC 1100 that was £2795.00 a few weeks ago is now £3600.00 or so.

John

John

The Ethos is a 1.25" eyepiece and the 2" barrel is just there for more stability when using it with a 2" diagonal or focuser.

Televue quote:

" Since it is designed as an 1¼" eyepiece, there is NO optical benefit by using a 2" holder. The 2" barrel is included just for convenience, but it is also threaded to accept our 2" extension tube (EBX-2120), which allows the use of 48mm filters. "

Here's the link to the Ethos instructions.

http://www.televue.com/Pdf/TVO_ETHOS-instruct.pdf

John

Took a look at the email and it was only sent out to previous customers. Here's a copy of the email.

John

Save 10% on everything

at Telescopehouse.com this weekend

Enter 2009 in the coupon entry

Take advantage of this exclusive Pre AstroFest offer for Telescope House customers to save 10% on all in stock web orders this weekend only

This offer means you can save even more than many of the offers that are planned for the AstroFest event

Offer applies to in stock web orders placed between the 30th January 09 and Midnight 01st February 09

Archived