Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First month's observing

Bongo

Hi

Thought I'd drop a quick report on my first month's observing. Partly because reading posts from others on this forum inspired and encouraged me to get my first decent telescope (a Meade 130mm Lightbridge), but also because I'm giddy and overexcited.

I got my telescope late November. I got a lucky break in the weather on the first night of owning it, and managed to have a brief session. It was long enough to get the hang of the basics of using the telescope, but not much more. But after waiting the best part of a month, was rewarded with some decent skies over Xmas.

I'm still blown away by the moon at this stage. I've attached some pics I took (just clumsily held an iPhone up to the 9mm eyepiece that came with the 'scope). I know they're not amazing pics, but they are to me! The Pleiades have been a revelation - amazing that a smudge in the sky can have so much to see in it.

I've not had much luck with Mars though. The best I managed has been just enough of a disc to convince me it's a disc rather than a point. Absolutely no detail has been visible, which is unsurprising given the size. I do wonder what I might achieve at a more favourable time, or whether a better eyepiece would help, or whether that's just as good as I'm going to get with the 'scope I have?

Can't wait to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn when the time is right, although, as I look out of my window at black clouds and horizontal hail, I'd settle for a dry, clear night and a decent view of *anything* at the moment!

Thanks to all who have posted things I've found helpful so far on this forum. 🙂

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

Edited by Bongo
  • Like 14

A great little read ... reading posts inspire others as you have already stated . To be honest , Mars is past its best now. Although still high in our sky ( when we actually get a clear sky ) its a difficult planet to see much detail . Saturn and Jupiter are too low , at least for me , to see now so its the good old moon that really takes centre stage . And why not? There is ALWAYS something to see there , especially when it shows its phases . Congrats on your scope . Exciting is exactly the word i would use too. I think we , in Britain are the most enthusiastic and patient astronomers in the world as we have so few clear skies . 

Stu

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Mars appeared much bigger when it was closer to us, bide your time, you'll get a good view one day (ok, one night )

Heather

Mars will next be larger than it currently is in September 2022. It reaches opposition in December that year. Until then it's going to be tough to observe and getting tougher.

Great report, I was so happy seeing that Mars was in fact a disc, not a point of light, and I was lucj enough to see the rings of Saturn and 4 of Jupiters moons before they got too low in the sky. For those of us starting in this hobby we're lucky, as nearly everything we see is new and exciting! Cool pics too, very good for a smartphone held up against an eyepiece!

• Like 1

Great report, love Pleiades and I keep training my scope on M42 and seem to find a little more detail every time I re-view it, its one of my faves at present! Sadly I didn't get to much moongazing in on the last full moon due to cloud but from what little of I got through the haze of clouds I am looking forward to my new eyepieces when they eventually arrive to try and get more detail.

I had similar with Mars but I have had the odd night where I have been able to ascertain a red tinge to it (not sure if it was just my brain making it up admittedly) and some darker patches which I am assuming are surface / cloud patterning It is very small in the 90mm refractor though. Keep giving it a try and you might see more that's what I am loving about this hobby so far. 

I haven't been able to get Saturn or Jupiter to my dismay as they are to low and behind many, many houses at this time ... maybe later in the year? :D

What are you thinking next? Last couple of times out I was hunting for M31 (found it eventually!) and some of the other messiers M36,M37,M38 suggested by the lovely SGL members :D

Edited by wibblefish

Don't think any of us tire looking at the moon- the quality of the view will be tempered by your seeing conditions depending on your light pollution and the atmospheric conditions- Just keep at it- Do you view from a garden or open space and is it in a city? Im sure you have read on here about Light pollution and dark sky sites for better views- Depending on where you are in the East Riding you may well be within striking distance of somewhere not too bad- (Im from Hull originally but now up here in Cumbria we have some really nice dark sites within 20 mins drive)

Great you are still enthused- keep going and engage with all the knowledgeable people on this site

always great to hear from people who have taken advice from us and to see how they go

J

Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from someone who shares a similar enthusiasm. I think the Pleiades cluster is amazing and, if I'm honest, probably my favourite sight in the night sky at the minute. Most nights after giving the "right, let's go to bed" speech, I'll stand outside with some binoculars and just stare at it for a while. Very clear skies this Saturday for us in West Yorkshire, hoping it's the same for you over in the East!

Nice report @Bongo. Amazing how everyone's experience is similar! The Pleiades are always a joy to see.

Galaxies and nebulae are challenging to see visually from other than dark skies. I searched for hours for M31 Andromeda, before I realised just how huge it is! Now I can make it out as a bright smudge in binoculars on a dark night. M42 Orion Nebula is always a great bet, by eye, binoculars or telescope. 

Without needing any additional equipment, star clusters are great visually. @wibblefish has already mentioned M36, M37 and M38 all close together in Auriga. Another favourite easily visible at the moment (even by eye) is the Beehive Cluster in Cancer.

Double stars may interest you too. Albireo is the top dog here but won't be visible until mid Summer. At the moment, the Alcor/Mizar double in the Plough (middle star in the handle) is worth a view.

July/August will be the next best time for Saturn and Jupiter, but obviously grab a look as soon as you can. Everyone on SGL will tell you that the first views of Jupiter's Galilean moons and Saturn's rings are special!

If you haven't already, you should download and install Stellarium, the free planetarium software. It makes finding targets so easy.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jacobingonzo said:

Don't think any of us tire looking at the moon- the quality of the view will be tempered by your seeing conditions depending on your light pollution and the atmospheric conditions- Just keep at it- Do you view from a garden or open space and is it in a city? Im sure you have read on here about Light pollution and dark sky sites for better views- Depending on where you are in the East Riding you may well be within striking distance of somewhere not too bad- (Im from Hull originally but now up here in Cumbria we have some really nice dark sites within 20 mins drive)

Ah! A fellow Hull person. I lived there for most of my adult life, moved out to Nafferton (just outside Driffield) about 6 years ago now. It's not a super-dark sky, but its fairly rural and a lot better than being in a city. Might try to get up to Dalby Forest at some point after all this lockdown stuff is over with.

The moon pics were taken when it was quite low in the sky, so I'm sure I could have done better if I'd stayed out longer, but frostbite was setting in.

As a side note, I was just about to go to bed last night when I noticed that, despite the forecast, there was a completely clear sky. I grabbed the 'scope and managed a brief period of observing. Saw the Orion Nebular for the first time - very pleased with myself there!

• Like 2

Your experience is similar to mine. I have a photo of the moon I took soon after I got my first telescope which is unremarkable compared to what can be seen on here but I find it rather special because I can still remember vividly the wonder and excitement of both seeing the view and managing to record it photographically. I first saw the Orion Nebula about a month ago and I can still feel the hairs on my neck stand up when I think about it. It was wondrous and strangely moving moment which made me feel connected to the universe. It was truly fantastic. I also showed my two grown-up children and they were blown away, never suspecting that something so unexpected and beautiful could be seen from our lowly back garden.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

i agree with Mark ... i have posted some of my photos on Facebook and the positive responses gave me a lot of pleasure... my images were at best , ordinary compared to some of the wonderful images i see on here... but, they were MINE  :)

Well, exactly!

Especially at the moment, it's just nice to be able to share what I'm seeing with friends and family. Under a non-lockdown situation I'm sure I'd have had people round to have a look and share the experience with. As things are, this is the nearest I can do.

Also, of course, seeing the moon at that level of detail for the first time is a moment you'd want to capture and remember. I could have taken a selfie of my grinning face in the dark, but I figured a fuzzy shot of the moon would do the job better. 😉 

At the end of the day (or perhaps I should say 'night'), it's a photo of something that *I* saw with my own eyes that made me go 'Wow!', and that's what makes it special. What better reason to take a photo?

• Like 2