Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power/Cabling/Plug reductions

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a solution to my ever increasing power cable, plug and adapter collection. 

I run an NEQ6, ASI1600MM, Raspberry Pi 4 and a Focuscube 2. All use mains adapters/plugs. The mount used a Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply. 

Can anyone suggest a 'thing' or a way to reduce the number of plugs? Ideally, id like one mains plug (with possible option for car/leisure battery) and everything powered off a hub or something? 

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks in advanced. Mike x

Edited by Hailfire101
Pressed post by accident.

I was having the same issue and just ordered this beauty

https://pegasusastro.com/products/pocket-powerbox-advance/

Its expensive but considering the cost of a USB hub and a decent dew heater controller it's not that bad. If you don't need the USB hub and are fine with 10amo instead of 12 you can go for the micro which is a bit cheaper

https://pegasusastro.com/pocket-powerbox-micro/

Can give some feedback once mine arrives. 

• Like 1

That Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance looks perfect.... I think. If the volts can be adjusted to what i need. 

£260 tho....🤣 😂 God, Astrophotography is killing my bank account once again... Just bought the focuscube 2 as well. 😢 😂 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hailfire101 said:

That Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance looks perfect.... I think. If the volts can be adjusted to what i need. 

£260 tho....🤣😂 God, Astrophotography is killing my bank account once again... Just bought the focuscube 2 as well. 😢😂 

The advance has 1 adjustable output and 4 12V. And yes Astrophotography is horrible for the bank account. Especially if you like to automate stuff and make things efficient :)

I just got the zwo autofocuser and came to the same realisation as you. Actually made this to convince myself I need the Powerbox 😂

1645581406_PhotofromLoki.jpg.685240438a955ba6ed933323ae0333ce.jpg

Edited by LordLoki

You can run the Pi4 from one of the USB ports there is one that provides up to 5.2V/3Amps 

Camera, filterwheel, mount and focuser should all run on the 4 12v outputs

Edit:

Also the consumption should be fine I could not find max draw on the focuscube but even assuming it uses the full 2 Amps which is unlikely you are fine with around 9.2Amps max draw. 

Focuscube       2Amps
Eq6-r                2Amps
Zwo asi 1600  2Amps
Zwo ef wheel 0.2 Amps
Pi 4.                 3Amps 

Edited by LordLoki
  • Like 1

+1 for the PPBA. I also now have an eXternal Motor Controller (XMC) to go with mine driving an existing Lakeside stepper.  The result is superbly compact and elegant (but pricey)!

I too have the Nevada PS-08 6-8A power supply which currently happily powers the PPBA and via that two dewstraps, the XMC and a cooled camera. My HEQ5 is currently powered separately but at some stage I may add both it and a Pi 4 to the PPBA, and may need to look at the adequacy of the supply at that time.