Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW AZ-GTI on EQ wedge - should I?

Aquavit

I'd like a more stable and useable mount for my SW Mak 102 and like the functionality and clean design of the AZ-GTI mount, which I would want to use in EQ mode. I can re-use the counterweight from my EQ1 and purchase the Star Adventurer wedge. The Mak 102 is well within the load capacity of the mount and tripod so all looks to be good.

However, there looks to be a few potential issues, polar alignment being one and the poor customer support from SW being another. The biggest problem though for me could be the firmware upgrade, which I understand needs to be done on a laptop with a special cable connected to the mount. I run OSX MacBook and from what I can see the firmware is only available in Windows format. If there is no work around for this it will be a deal breaker, has anyone running OSX got one of these mounts overcome this issue?

The firmware upgrade is done via a computer (laptop or pc) via the inbuilt wi/fi of the AZ-GTI (no need for any cables) .... the files are easily downloaded from the sw site, I have done it and it's quite straightforward.

All you need it a friend with a windows laptop.

Or possibly ask the shop that you are going to buy it from if they can do the upgrade.

Edited by shropshire lad
  • Thanks 1

I've heard people suggest that rather than getting the SW wedge, go for the Williams Optics one instead. 

I appreciate that it's considerably more expensive, but it is reputedly much more capable. 

I haven't tried using my AZ GTi in equatorial mode (and if I did, I would initially use my existing SW Wedge), so this is simply reporting what others have suggested. 

HTH 

On 03/01/2021 at 17:24, Gfamily said:

I haven't tried using my AZ GTi in equatorial mode (and if I did, I would initially use my existing SW Wedge), so this is simply reporting what others have suggested. 

HTH 

The luxury of being able to test with an SW wedge is unusual at the moment with supply shortages! I use such a wedge with good results.