Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters for light pollution?

AlanP_

Hi all,

My new setup should be here soon and i'm looking forward to posting my first images. However, I do live on the edge of town and under bortle 5 skies.  The streets surrounding my house use LED lights, but there are parts elsewhere that also use sodium street lights.. I want to image both reflection nebulas and galaxies, along with emission nebulas. Would I need two different filters for these targets? 

Another question, I see FLO offer eos clip in filters, and 1.25" and 2" filters. Is there a pro/con for either? I'll be using an astromodified 600d.

Cheers all.

8 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I use a 2inch D2 filter for LED street lighting in a bottle 3/4. It's brilliant for my particular light pollution but expensive.

Cheers Nigella, is it suitable for galaxies and emission nebulas?

42 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

I've only taken a few nebula at the moment, not really had time to really put it through it's paces but it certainly reducers the glow compared to not using it. I've two LED lights near my property. Big difference between not using it and using it even on a comet. There must be others who can advise who have used it more extensively. Found something that might be helpful.

https://www.astrofotoblog.eu/?tag=hutech-idas-lps-d2

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added comment

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've only taken a few nebula at the moment, not really had time to really put it through it's paces but it certainly reducers the glow compared to not using it. I've two LED lights near my property. Big difference between not using it and using it even on a comet. There must be others who can advise who have used it more extensively. Found something that might be helpful.

https://www.astrofotoblog.eu/?tag=hutech-idas-lps-d2

Interesting, thanks for the link. Not sure if its just me, but some nebulas look lioke their missing some depth. I'm wondering if the filter isn't suitable for some variations.

7 hours ago, AlanP_ said:

It's ok for both..I have one and have an L-extreme on order specifically just for nebula and will keep the D2 for more broadband targets such as galaxies and clusters etc etc 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Optolong L-Enhance 2", works fine to counter LP in my Bortle 7 skies and is excellent on most Nebula.

I dont think there is a filter specifically for Galaxies, stand being corrected on that one but I havent found one as yet.

You may wish to attempt imaging without the filters first, and see what you can do with any gradients in post. It's one thing to image narrowband and work only with specific frequencies, but for broadband targets your filter is necessarily removing some of the desired signal along with that of the light pollution. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1