SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does anybody have any experiance with this scope?

Hi, I was just looking at FLO`s site and came across this scope : 

Askar FRA400 f/5.6 Quintuplet APO Astrograph
The spec interests me especially with the FR giving a wide field of view at F3.9.

Has anybody on here got this scope and what are there thoughts, I not in a position at the moment for a new scope but this has got me thinking as a good compliment / replacement for my SW 72 ED.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Agreed it looks superb!  As an alternative  SharpStar 76EDPH f/5.5 Triplet ED APO Telescope | First Light Optics

Hi, yes looked at that aswell, It is already on my list of options that I cant afford right now along with the scope in question. lol.  The Askar appeals due to the wide field option with the reducer. 

I have found a little bit about it on CN where it seems to have its supporters but someone also complained about its focuser. Not that one bad review would influence me that much.

3 hours ago, simmo39 said:

The Askar appeals due to the wide field option with the reducer. 

There is a reducer for this too taking it to 342mm but maybe not short enough!  

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee_P said:

Yes, I have this telescope. Might write a members' review here on SGL, as there isn't that much info out there about it. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Hi and thank you. I do have a few quetions for you. 

How have you found the focuser? I have read of a few being a bit iffy

As the scope comes did you find that you got a flat field of view? I would be using it with a ASI 1600 mm and with my present scope ( SW 72 ED ) I struggle with gettting round stars at the edge with an OVL flattener ( Im still trying to get spacing right but also think I have a little tilt in the set up.  )

Have you used it with the 0.7 reducer they recomend? and again how was the stars? I must admit that one of the main reasons for looking at this scope was its ability to do a wide field shot when the need arises.

And finally, do you think it is a good quality scope? I know that the price seems very good for what you get but im looking at it as a keeper scope for at least a few years.

Thanks 

Simmo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi and thank you. I do have a few quetions for you. 

How have you found the focuser? I have read of a few being a bit iffy

As the scope comes did you find that you got a flat field of view? I would be using it with a ASI 1600 mm and with my present scope ( SW 72 ED ) I struggle with gettting round stars at the edge with an OVL flattener ( Im still trying to get spacing right but also think I have a little tilt in the set up.  )

Have you used it with the 0.7 reducer they recomend? and again how was the stars? I must admit that one of the main reasons for looking at this scope was its ability to do a wide field shot when the need arises.

And finally, do you think it is a good quality scope? I know that the price seems very good for what you get but im looking at it as a keeper scope for at least a few years.

Thanks 

Simmo

Hi Simmo, your query inspired me to write a review, which I hope to post later today. To answer your direct questions now though:

* My focusser is ok. Not A* quality, but does the job. I've installed a ZWO EAF and that works perfectly.
* Yes, flat field as the 'scope comes (i.e. without the reducer). This is a benefit of its Petzval design; no backfocus to content with. More on that in my full review!
* I'm not using it with the reducer, so can't really comment on that I'm afraid.
* Yes, it's good quality for the money. I have encountered a few issues but have found solutions to all of them -- will give more details in my full review. I consider it a keeper for many years. Whether you would depends on what you want to use it for, exactly. I can advise more if you can give me any details.

Hope that helps,

-Lee

1 minute ago, Lee_P said:

Hi Simmo, your query inspired me to write a review, which I hope to post later today. To answer your direct questions now though:

* My focusser is ok. Not A* quality, but does the job. I've installed a ZWO EAF and that works perfectly.
* Yes, flat field as the 'scope comes (i.e. without the reducer). This is a benefit of its Petzval design; no backfocus to content with. More on that in my full review!
* I'm not using it with the reducer, so can't really comment on that I'm afraid.
* Yes, it's good quality for the money. I have encountered a few issues but have found solutions to all of them -- will give more details in my full review. I consider it a keeper for many years. Whether you would depends on what you want to use it for, exactly. I can advise more if you can give me any details.

Hope that helps,

-Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for the quick reply, will look forward to reading your review. Im going to use the scope mainly for narrow band Nebula stuff, Im not realy a galaxy fan for imaging although i do have a go during galaxy season. I was thinking with the reducer I would find it easier to frame shots of the larger nebula. I was also thinking about going down the ZWO EAF route and you have answerd that for me. I will have a good read of your review but from what you have already said I think I will be saving some cash and investing in one. Just need to hope FLO can get stock soon.

Thanks again

Simmo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Lee

Thanks for the quick reply, will look forward to reading your review. Im going to use the scope mainly for narrow band Nebula stuff, Im not realy a galaxy fan for imaging although i do have a go during galaxy season. I was thinking with the reducer I would find it easier to frame shots of the larger nebula. I was also thinking about going down the ZWO EAF route and you have answerd that for me. I will have a good read of your review but from what you have already said I think I will be saving some cash and investing in one. Just need to hope FLO can get stock soon.

Thanks again

Simmo

The ZWO EAF is great, I'd definitely recommend it if you're imaging!

• Like 1