Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to buy to replace my 8" Dob?

Thanks Steve, but I am being an awkward so and so and would like pneumatic (on grass) and something that didn't increase the height too much. Which is why I am still looking! :D

On 04/01/2021 at 17:35, Tiny Clanger said:

Oh dear, I apologize for the rather antediluvian assumptions by some

Nice. ;)  had to look it up. :D

There are plenty of suitable castors on Amazon.

I used these 4” ones on my dob. Also work OK on grass if it’s firm if you pull the dob rather than push it. You only need two locking castors to keep the dob from moving although usually don’t bother locking them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TY1HA18?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

16D63A38-12F6-49D0-9CBA-D68772A7F55D.jpeg

The ideal solution for you (the OP) is: https://optcorp.com/products/vaonis-stellina-smart-telescope

webVO-ST80---VAONIS-STELLINA-OBSERVATION

Seriously though, I'd recommend learning how to move your 8" around effortlessly (I bet it was already very well covered above, as a 8" is actually a very small and lightweight Dob; in my opinion, even a 12" full steel OTA is a single-handed carry still, but I understand people have different body builds). Otherwise, I doubt you can have better views than your 8" with anything less in aperture DSOs or planets doesn't matter, unless you would seriously consider moving to the above linked EAA path.

Edited by AlexK
  • Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 22:13, John said:

How is that much more compact overall than an 8 inch dob Michael ?

I've owned both and I don't recall that the EQ mounted SCT was more compact overall :icon_scratch:

These are all 8 inchers. The SCT is on an alt-az rather than an EQ though. The SCT OTA is shorter but the footprint wider and the overall weight a touch more I think.

Eight-inch Shootout

All very good scopes though. Maybe it's just down to personal preferences and if the OP want's a change, it's good to have one :smile:

I doubt I would have been able to put an 8" Dob tube in my old Peugeot 106, along with all the camping gear when I went to France to see the eclipse in 1999. The OTA is way more compact and lighter, the mount head is quite modest in size when you stow it, and the tripod is a very light manageable unit as well. The Dobson OTA is quite a beast in comparison. The base is also quite bulky.

6 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I doubt I would have been able to put an 8" Dob tube in my old Peugeot 106, along with all the camping gear when I went to France to see the eclipse in 1999. The OTA is way more compact and lighter, the mount head is quite modest in size when you stow it, and the tripod is a very light manageable unit as well. The Dobson OTA is quite a beast in comparison. The base is also quite bulky.

That's why I set up my grown daughter with a 127 Mak on a DSV-1 mount and Manfrotto tripod for her camping trips at dark sky sites.  With the camping gear, SO, and dog, there isn't a whole lot of room left in the back of her CUV for an 8" Dob.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

That's why I set up my grown daughter with a 127 Mak on a DSV-1 mount and Manfrotto tripod for her camping trips at dark sky sites.  With the camping gear, SO, and dog, there isn't a whole lot of room left in the back of her CUV for an 8" Dob.

The car back's size is not a legit excuse! :) When my whole family is going camping, my 12" is traveling on the roof rack of my Subaru Forester in the dedicated cradle:

IMG_1197.JPG

Edited by AlexK
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I can get my 12 inch solid tube F/5.3 dob in my Toyota Auris with one rear seat folded flat plus driver, 2 passengers and a bunch of other gear in the other side of the boot. The Auris (and older one) is about the same size as a Golf so a bit larger than the 106 but not a lot.

I've not owned an 8 inch dob for a few years now (2 in the past though) but when I came across one in the window of a photographic store last year I remember thinking how compact and dainty it looked :smiley:

One key phrase in the original post sticks out for me though:

"....For the amount of money I know I'm going to need to spend on a setup like this, I'd like better views than I can currently get through my Dob...."

So I reckon a 9.25 or 10 inch SCT might be required. And that is certainly not going to be a featherweight affair.

Edited by John

One more option would be to convert that stock 8" Dob into a simple truss, that would for sure help to travel with it (car or even a plane), but it would most likely gain some weight instead and become a hassle to assemble and collimate each time. There are some other options to offset that, but they will depend on the DIY mechanical capabilities / ATM appeal of the OP. E.g. my own plan is to build a single strut "ball scope" out of some decent 8" 1:4 mirror set (I'm on a lookout for one already).