SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Farthest

bomberbaz

I have just watched this documentary about Voyager's 1 & 2. 

Starts from conception, to launch, through the solar system and onto inter stellar space.

It has many of the original people who worked on it as contributors and personally I found it very interesting and at times, profoundly emotional.

2 hours long, early on a little slow but once it gets going it is superb.

https://watchdocumentaries.com/the-farthest/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I have seen that documentary, it is very nice and really is profound.

I watched it on prime, then it threw up 30 more options to me.

I shall watch them in my own time and there may be other recommendations 😉👍

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I watched it on prime, then it threw up 30 more options to me.

I shall watch them in my own time and there may be other recommendations 😉👍

If you love a good documentary as much as I do, you’ll enjoy this one, especially if you have a skywatcher dob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

If you love a good documentary as much as I do, you’ll enjoy this one, especially if you have a skywatcher dob.

Think I saw it in options, thanks for the heads up 👍

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Starts from conception, to launch, through the solar system and onto inter stellar space.

It has many of the original people who worked on it as contributors and personally I found it very interesting and at times, profoundly emotional.

I saw this on the big screen in the cinema - i loved it, and totally agree - quite poignant.

Fantastic documentary, and Irish made too ;)

• Like 2

That documentary reminded me of one I saw a couple of years ago about one of the Mars rovers, I think it was Spirit. It focussed not only on the rover’s discoveries but more so on the dedication of the team at JPL, some of  whom had devoted their careers, and personal lives, to the project. The thing that stuck in my mind the most was how emotional the team became when talking about how the mission ended, one guy in particular was close to tears describing how the rover does not have an “Off” switch, to avoid it being accidentally activated, and therefore forever ending the mission because you couldn’t then switch it back on again, therefore Spirit he said, although no longer responding, would forever be waiting for a signal that would never come. It was at this point he almost lost it.

I get it though, to put so much of yourself into such an amazing once in a lifetime event, being human you cannot avoid the emotional attachment to both the mission and even more so to the object itself, rather like the captain of a ship in a time of war shedding a tear as he watches his beloved ship sink beneath the waves.  Makes you think how much these people put of themselves into their work. They are the unsung heroes to my mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

These two documentaries about the New Horizons mission got me the same way.  I watched them both twice in a row.

I just intended to post the links but the system had other ideas!

Michael

I am not sure if I have seen these so good effort with the links.  I am still a sponge with astro related stuff, sadly these days it's a sponge that dries out a little too quickly but I still persist. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonshed said:

That documentary reminded me of one I saw a couple of years ago about one of the Mars rovers, I think it was Spirit. It focussed not only on the rover’s discoveries but more so on the dedication of the team at JPL, some of  whom had devoted their careers, and personal lives, to the project. The thing that stuck in my mind the most was how emotional the team became when talking about how the mission ended, one guy in particular was close to tears describing how the rover does not have an “Off” switch, to avoid it being accidentally activated, and therefore forever ending the mission because you couldn’t then switch it back on again, therefore Spirit he said, although no longer responding, would forever be waiting for a signal that would never come. It was at this point he almost lost it.

I get it though, to put so much of yourself into such an amazing once in a lifetime event, being human you cannot avoid the emotional attachment to both the mission and even more so to the object itself, rather like the captain of a ship in a time of war shedding a tear as he watches his beloved ship sink beneath the waves.  Makes you think how much these people put of themselves into their work. They are the unsung heroes to my mind.

Sounds like an interesting documentary on Spirit.  I watched live as the signal from Cassini was lost, and it was quite emotional!

• Like 2

I've just searched this on Amazon and added it to my watch list. I'm surprised at how much content there is of a similar nature if you look for it, so I've tagged a lot more other space stuff to my list to watch. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching this. What a beautiful, and emotional journey. I had started to watch it a few months ago, but life got in the way, and I abandoned it. Thanks for reminding, and inspiring me to complete the viewing.

What a stunning achievement considering it was 70’s technology. It really brought it home to me just how archaic it actually was when one of the guys was talking about plotting courses on graph paper.  And I had tears in my eyes when they covered the Challenger launch.  Also found it very moving when Carl Sagan convinced NASA to swing the camera back around to take that famous shot of Earth. Truly magical.

It’s incredible to think, because of the distances involved, and time spent travelling those distances, that this project has consumed most, if not all of the participants’ working lives. And the journey still continues. I found the whole thing totally engrossing, and absolutely humbling.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 21:01, bomberbaz said:

Thanks for the link,  I'll watch that tonight.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paz said:

I've just searched this on Amazon and added it to my watch list. I'm surprised at how much content there is of a similar nature if you look for it, so I've tagged a lot more other space stuff to my list to watch. 

I watched it on amazon prime too, I found the link above after so everyone could watch it for free. Anyway, prime threw me links to loads of other stuff as suggetions as well. I tagged about 20 of them and I am slowly going threw them. One I watched yesterday I am linking to as well called solar superstorms, some very interesting stuff in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2021 at 21:01, bomberbaz said:

Thanks, I will definitely watch that one. That's 2 hours of the 6 week + lock-down sorted 🙂 

Need to find something to watch or read my books again OR the dammed clouds could go and then I will have lots to to 🙂 

Steve

I watch every program I can find about our exploration of the solar system.

I am just amazed at the dedication the scientists and engineers have with these missions.

With everything they have discovered,  I can't believe there is still so many who look at it as a waste of money.

• Like 1

Yes it amazing.  The bit where the guy said a lot of the external insulation foil on Voyager's outside is turkey foil from a local supermarket that they went to raid when the government's own procurement system let them down.  So turkey baking foil has left the solar system!

On 05/01/2021 at 14:26, maw lod qan said:

I watch every program I can find about our exploration of the solar system.

I am just amazed at the dedication the scientists and engineers have with these missions.

With everything they have discovered,  I can't believe there is still so many who look at it as a waste of money.

I do get exasperated when I see people say we shouldn't invest in space exploration because of XYZ problem on Earth which needs the money. 

I fully understand the sentiment but wish they could see investing in space, science and technology will help improve our lives on Earth. Both in the short term and for generations to come.

2 hours ago, Ande said:

I know what you mean. I’m desperately hoping to witness the first man/woman landing on Mars before I croak my last breath. I’m 58 now, so don’t hold out too much hope.

I hope to witness it as well, but I'm 65. I also worry that if it's not accomplished by private  ventures, it will be a decade or more.