Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dehumidifier

inapottingshed

I'm in need of a dehumidifier for temporary use in a loft space (unoccupied) until roof repairs are completed and for later use in my yet to be built ROR obsy. It needs to be quiet, able to operate (on/off) by a power relay/timer and a catch tank with as safe shut off. I was looking at the Pro Breeze 1500 Premium (1500ml) which is available for around £70. It uses a peltier, is suitable for approx 220 sq ft / 6 cu metres, and operates in 10-50C. It's on the small side for the loft and not sure of 10C is low enough for the loft or obsy. Any suggestions please (budget roughly £100)?   

Edited by inapottingshed
typo

2 hours ago, inapottingshed said:

I'm in need of a dehumidifier for temporary use in a loft space (unoccupied) until roof repairs are completed and for later use in my yet to be built ROR obsy. It needs to be quiet, able to operate (on/off) by a power relay/timer and a catch tank with as safe shut off. I was looking at the Pro Breeze 1500 Premium (1500ml) which is available for around £70. It uses a peltier, is suitable for approx 220 sq ft / 6 cu metres, and operates in 10-50C. It's on the small side for the loft and not sure of 10C is low enough for the loft or obsy. Any suggestions please (budget roughly £100)?   

The other option, is to not bother with one at all,  ventilation plus a bit of heat, means not condensation.... infact in your case, ventilation will be all you will need, as you will get heat up through the the Floors... 👍🏼

46 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

The other option, is to not bother with one at all,  ventilation plus a bit of heat, means not condensation.... infact in your case, ventilation will be all you will need, as you will get heat up through the the Floors... 👍🏼

How can I go about ventilating? We never had condensation/damp years ago. It seems to be recent. Admittedly, there is a lot more heat in the house due to central heating and more electrical devices.

13 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

How can I go about ventilating? We never had condensation/damp years ago. It seems to be recent. Admittedly, there is a lot more heat in the house due to central heating and more electrical devices.

After reading your post again, are you saying that the damp is purely from the roof needing repairs, or is it there all the time...? If just temporary because of repairs needed, then, yes go for the dehumidifier, but if an issue all the time, then you should treat the cause and not the symptoms....hence my first post of ventilation and a bit of heat...

But for the obsy, it needs really good ventilation and then no dehumidifier will be needed... 😀

Edited by Stuart1971

I have a similar dessicant dehumidifier, originally bought for a mobile home and now deployed in my shed obsy.

However, I rarely use it as it kicks out a fair bit of heat itself leading to worries that it could cause condensation when switched off. Also as the obsy is by no means airtight it tries to dry out the local neighbourhood...

Touch wood, I've avoided damp to date by ensuring a constant flow of air past the kit - just by using a computer fan high in one wall with a vent low in the opposite wall. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 13:16, steppenwolf said:

This is the one I currently use and it works perfectly down to a lower temperature than the one you mention. I can control it remotely with a relay board in my observatory as well.

i second this really is quiet and efficient mine looks the samer but with a different name i believe also has external pipe for drainage