Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Orion Nebula

First time getting the scope out since the planets in the summer (kids + three shift work + weather).. Took the scope out on Christmas day evening to show the family. Snuck in a short session on Orion nebula (M42). Moon phase was waxing gibbous 84% illuminated. 

Scope: GSO 10" f/4 Newtonian, with Explore Scientific HR coma corrector (giving f/4.24).

Camera: Xiaomi Mi Note 10. Held with my new TS smartphone adapter.

Eyepiece: APM XWA 20 mm, with Astronomik UHC filter (1.25" so some vignetting).

Frames: 47*32sec lights, no calibration frames(!).

Software: Shot with Deepskycamera (ISO 600). Stacked in DSS, edited in Photoshop.

orion_up.png

Edited by Viktorious
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, DanWri said:

Holy moly that is one expensive mount! No wonder you can get gorgeous images like this. 

It is. I started out with a Celestron Evolution 9.25 (once making money, started the hobby with a tabletop dob). When I realized that I wanted to photograph more I tried to sell it in order to start again with an EQ. Sweden is a small market so when I got the offer to trade it for this mount I didn't pass (the mount is worth more than the setup I had anyway 😅). With such a beast I could go "cheaper" on the scope and sacrifice weight for price, i.e. a big reflector. 

I'm super happy with it, the stability and tracking accuracy can't be compared to the Nexstar Evolution. Nice to not have to think about field rotation for longer exposures as well. 

• 5 weeks later...